GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   No-Plow Ground Cover Seeds? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/22630-no-plow-ground-cover-seeds.html)

Filipo 15-05-2003 04:20 PM

No-Plow Ground Cover Seeds?

Hi there.

I live in northern Virginia on a lot which has a steep embankment on
two sides - the sides are about 40-45 degrees incline, 20 feet high,
covered with weeds and impossible to plow or cultivate because of its
steepness. I want to plant groundcover on this steep hill - about
10,000 squre feet maybe - but since it is hard to till or plow, I need
groundcover seeds that you just broadcast or spread on and hope they
will grow before the birds get to them.

Do you have any suggestions? I don't care what they look like - I just
need something that is no-plow, no-maintenance, that will keep the
weeds from growing.

Thanks & I look forward to your expert advice.

ftt

TOM KAN PA 15-05-2003 09:20 PM

No-Plow Ground Cover Seeds?

Crown Vetch. But bear in mind, it's very invasive!

Rick 16-05-2003 12:08 AM

No-Plow Ground Cover Seeds?

On 15 May 2003 08:15:21 -0700, (Filipo) wrote:

Hi there.

I live in northern Virginia on a lot which has a steep embankment on
two sides - the sides are about 40-45 degrees incline, 20 feet high,
covered with weeds and impossible to plow or cultivate because of its
steepness. I want to plant groundcover on this steep hill - about
10,000 squre feet maybe - but since it is hard to till or plow, I need
groundcover seeds that you just broadcast or spread on and hope they
will grow before the birds get to them.

Do you have any suggestions? I don't care what they look like - I just
need something that is no-plow, no-maintenance, that will keep the
weeds from growing.

Thanks & I look forward to your expert advice.

ftt

Sounds like a great place for wild flowers. You can get seed by the
pound on several web based companies.

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. 16-05-2003 01:20 AM

No-Plow Ground Cover Seeds?

Filipo wrote:

Hi there.

I live in northern Virginia on a lot which has a steep embankment on
two sides - the sides are about 40-45 degrees incline, 20 feet high,
covered with weeds and impossible to plow or cultivate because of its
steepness. I want to plant groundcover on this steep hill - about
10,000 squre feet maybe - but since it is hard to till or plow, I need
groundcover seeds that you just broadcast or spread on and hope they
will grow before the birds get to them.

Seeds can be birdproofed by encapsulating them in a mix of pottery clay
and compost. Mix up a pound or so of dry materials, then add your seed.
Moisten, then force through a 3/8" wire mesh to create pellets. Let dry.
Toss out handfuls, water, and wait.

The birds won't know them from gravel, and will ignore them. The compost
retains water and adds a light dose of fertilizer right where it's needed.
Germination rates will be greater.

Filipo 16-05-2003 07:56 PM

No-Plow Ground Cover Seeds?

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote in message ...

Seeds can be birdproofed by encapsulating them in a mix of pottery clay
and compost. Mix up a pound or so of dry materials, then add your seed.
Moisten, then force through a 3/8" wire mesh to create pellets. Let dry.
Toss out handfuls, water, and wait.

Thanks, this is very helpful and I am definitely going to do it. A
couple of questions:

1. I can get the compost and wire mesh from Home Depot but where do I
buy the pottery clay from locally in the small quantities that I need?
Will a nursery carry it?

2. Can you provide a rough mixing ratio between clay and compost? I'm
afraid if I put too much clay, the pellets will harden and the seeds
won't be able to break out and germinate.

Again, my heartfelt gratitude for this wonderful idea.

ftt

Tegan 17-05-2003 01:08 AM

No-Plow Ground Cover Seeds?

c (TOM KAN PA) wrote in message ...
Crown Vetch. But bear in mind, it's very invasive!

Very, very, very. Very. Even as far North as Zone 4 (at least).
Invades by seed as well as by super-deep, super-sturdy
neighborhood-devouring root systems. If you have neighbors, they will
not love you for it. I don't know if you can eat it. Kudzu, you can
at least eat.