Old 15-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Filipo

Default No-Plow Ground Cover Seeds?

Hi there.

I live in northern Virginia on a lot which has a steep embankment on
two sides - the sides are about 40-45 degrees incline, 20 feet high,
covered with weeds and impossible to plow or cultivate because of its
steepness. I want to plant groundcover on this steep hill - about
10,000 squre feet maybe - but since it is hard to till or plow, I need
groundcover seeds that you just broadcast or spread on and hope they
will grow before the birds get to them.

Do you have any suggestions? I don't care what they look like - I just
need something that is no-plow, no-maintenance, that will keep the
weeds from growing.

Thanks & I look forward to your expert advice.

ftt
Old 15-05-2003, 09:20 PM
TOM KAN PA

Crown Vetch. But bear in mind, it's very invasive!

Old 16-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Filipo wrote:

Hi there.

I live in northern Virginia on a lot which has a steep embankment on
two sides - the sides are about 40-45 degrees incline, 20 feet high,
covered with weeds and impossible to plow or cultivate because of its
steepness. I want to plant groundcover on this steep hill - about
10,000 squre feet maybe - but since it is hard to till or plow, I need
groundcover seeds that you just broadcast or spread on and hope they
will grow before the birds get to them.

Seeds can be birdproofed by encapsulating them in a mix of pottery clay
and compost. Mix up a pound or so of dry materials, then add your seed.
Moisten, then force through a 3/8" wire mesh to create pellets. Let dry.
Toss out handfuls, water, and wait.

The birds won't know them from gravel, and will ignore them. The compost
retains water and adds a light dose of fertilizer right where it's needed.
Germination rates will be greater.

Old 16-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Filipo

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote in message ...

Seeds can be birdproofed by encapsulating them in a mix of pottery clay
and compost. Mix up a pound or so of dry materials, then add your seed.
Moisten, then force through a 3/8" wire mesh to create pellets. Let dry.
Toss out handfuls, water, and wait.

Thanks, this is very helpful and I am definitely going to do it. A
couple of questions:

1. I can get the compost and wire mesh from Home Depot but where do I
buy the pottery clay from locally in the small quantities that I need?
Will a nursery carry it?

2. Can you provide a rough mixing ratio between clay and compost? I'm
afraid if I put too much clay, the pellets will harden and the seeds
won't be able to break out and germinate.

Again, my heartfelt gratitude for this wonderful idea.

ftt