Old 19-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Phisherman

Default Mosquitos!!! Consumer Reports testing Magnet and Trap models...

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:05:58 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

Phisherman wrote in
:

Take 100 mg of vitamin B1 (with B complexes) daily, avoid eating
bananas, wear light-colored clothing, and use DEET. This is better,
works everywhere, and less $ than those mosquito traps.

What's the vitamin B1 supposed to do for you? I can vouch for not eating
bananas. Apparently mosquitos find me even more tasty after eating them.

The mosquitoes avoid the smell of the B1 vitamin on your skin. It
takes 3 or 4 weeks of the daily vitamin to work. Also, hundreds of
mosquitoes can easily hatch from a small amount of stagnant water,
often within a week time.
Old 19-06-2003, 03:44 AM
DKat

I swear that since I put in my pond and fish (quite a few years now) that
mosquitos are hardly a problem. Even with this incredibly wet spring (Long
Island) I haven't seen any swarms as there should be. When I do go out in
the yard the place I get hit is far away from the pond. Oh, and using
ammonia on the bites cuts down on the itching a lot. You can buy an
expensive little tube of it that is made specifically for bites but the
cheap stuff out of the bottle works just the same. DK

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
(John) wrote in
om:

I have been impressed and confused by the thread for the Liberty
Mosquito trap. I used mine the entire last summer, went through three
tanks of propane, and did not capture more that a dozen mosquitos!

You didn't say, but are you still having problems with mosquitos biting?

mean if there's not at lot of mosquitos around (maybe something/body else
got them), you're not going to catch many.

Old 19-06-2003, 04:08 AM
des weges

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:35:36 GMT, Lar wrote:

New England Journal of Medicine

Thanks Lar!

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/347/1/13
"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson

tomj
Old 19-06-2003, 02:08 PM
animaux

It could also be the incredible amounts of malathion they have been spraying via
air to kill mosquitoes. Incredibly enough, my mother opens her door onto her
100 foot balcony to a water bird sanctuary where turtles lay eggs in her yard
each year and where there are enough swallows to eat billions of mosquitoes, yet
they still sprayed malathion from the crop duster. It even hospitalized her for
a week on a breathing machine, not respirator (I forget what they call it) but
she was an enigma. Positively nothing was found and the malathion was blamed.

After that horror of bird drop, they switched to using Bt-I in the waters.

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 02:34:30 GMT, "DKat" wrote:

I swear that since I put in my pond and fish (quite a few years now) that
mosquitos are hardly a problem. Even with this incredibly wet spring (Long
Island) I haven't seen any swarms as there should be. When I do go out in
the yard the place I get hit is far away from the pond. Oh, and using
ammonia on the bites cuts down on the itching a lot. You can buy an
expensive little tube of it that is made specifically for bites but the
cheap stuff out of the bottle works just the same. DK

.. .