Old 29-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Dave

Default Asparagus

Hello, my Asparagus is about 2-3 feet tall and looks like starting to go to
seed. Do I cut them down so new shoots come up?

Thanks, Dave

400 miles north of the 52cd

Old 29-05-2003, 11:08 PM
David Hill

NO.

Let them keep growing, they will be building up the root for next years crop
now.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 30-05-2003, 03:20 AM
patg

"Dave" wrote in
:

So you can only harvest once in the spring?

Yup. Harvest no bigger than your pinkey.
Let them grow till winter turns them brown then
burn the ferns to kill rust.

Your first bed I take it?

patg
patswoodshop.com
(shameless plug)
Old 30-05-2003, 03:44 AM
patg

Yup. Harvest no bigger than your pinkey.
Let them grow till winter turns them brown then
burn the ferns to kill rust.

Your first bed I take it?

patg
patswoodshop.com
(shameless plug)

opps...no smaller than your pinkey...sorry

Old 30-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Asparagus doesn't "go to seed". It has red berries.

If you keep cutting all the new shoots the plant will die.

Do a google search for info on how to grow Asparagus.

. ..

Old 30-05-2003, 04:09 PM
patg

"Dave" wrote in
:

Yes, first bed. They were 3 year olds when I got them last summer.

Keep an eye out for the asparagus beatle. It looks a
lot like a ladybug but the spots and color are a
bit different.

They will lay their eggs on the ferns. The larva
will strip a plant.

If you see them start spraying the fern with a hose
using a spray nozzle every few days. Doesn't take
too much to knock them off.

Good Luck!
patg
patswoodshop.com
(shameless plug)
Old 31-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Dwayne

Dave, I harvest all the big spears until the middle of June, then quit and
let them grow out the rest of the summer. You have to check them every
other day because they grow pretty fast. Out of 25 plants, 6 or 8 are still
producing spears that are big enough to harvest. I also add fertalizer to
the bed about the end of February in zone 5, before the spears start coming
out of the ground.

Dwayne

. ..