Old 01-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Novice

Default identification of a snake mangled by a lawn mower

Hi, I'm looking for an identification of a snake my dad just
accidentally ran over with a lawn mower. I assure all readers that
the death was accidental and that no one in my family intended for the
snake to die.

My dad is just curious about what species of snake it is... as he has
never seen anything but garter snakes in our back yard.

For those with weak stomachs, don't look at the following URL - the
snake is completely mangled and my photography is crap... I just
wanted to grab a few pics before some random animal (bird or whatever)
came by and ate the remainder of the carcass.

Anyway, without further adieu:
http://qlink.queensu.ca/~6tc1/snake/

Thanks,
Novice
Old 01-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Novice

I completely forgot to add that we live in Ontario and that we think it is
either a Fox snake or else a very young missassuaga rattler (as I could find
no rattle on its tail).

Thanks again,
Novice

om...

Old 02-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Chris McMartin

"Novice" wrote in message
I completely forgot to add that we live in Ontario and that we think it is
either a Fox snake or else a very young missassuaga rattler (as I could

find
no rattle on its tail).

Also look into milk snakes, _Lampropeltis triangulum_ subspecies.

--
Chris
http://www.mcmartinville.com

Old 02-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Beecrofter

Not much of a photo

Was the snakes eye pupil round or pie shaped
were the scales below the anus divided in the center or one piece across?
Old 02-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Patrick Alexander

In rec.pets.herp Chris McMartin wrote:
"Novice" wrote in message
I completely forgot to add that we live in Ontario and that we think it is
either a Fox snake or else a very young missassuaga rattler (as I could

find
no rattle on its tail).

Also look into milk snakes, _Lampropeltis triangulum_ subspecies.

Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum is what it looks like to me,
too.

Patrick Alexander

Old 02-06-2003, 04:08 PM

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:17:12 -0500, YoYo wrote:

Looks like the cameraman was more interested in focusing on that
woman's chest...

Old 02-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

"Novice" wrote in message
I completely forgot to add that we live in Ontario and that we think it is
either a Fox snake or else a very young missassuaga rattler (as I could

find
no rattle on its tail).

Also look into milk snakes, _Lampropeltis triangulum_ subspecies.

Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum is what it looks like to me,
too.

Me too. The ones I've seen in eastern Ontario look like that.

From the original posting, it looks like this may be in or near Kingston.
I'm pretty sure fox snakes are only found in a few areas of SW Ontario,
hundreds of miles away from you and on teh east shore of Georgian Bay.
Also, Massasauga rattlesnakes only occur in a restricted area around
Georgian Bay, and possibly in a few places in SW Ontario. Both species
have Threatened status both provincially in Ontario and nationally in
Canada.

These eastern milk snakes are often mistaken by the inexperienced for the
two snakes you mention. They don't make things any easier for themselves
by tail-rattling (no rattles, they just do it against dry leaves or some
such), which makes people panic and attack them. :-(

Too bad this one got killed by the lawn mower. I don't know if there
is any way of avoiding that sort of accident.