Old 02-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Charlotte Payne

Default tumbling/rotating composters

Hello! I have gone to google and looked at the old posts on rotating
composters, but none seemed to answer my question: I am looking at
purchasing one for my mother, who is in her early 80s, and small but wiry.
She has had one of the ones on a stand bought maybe 7-10 years ago, and
the handle you rotate it with and the barrel have degraded in the heat.
She would like a new one, and I would like to find one for her that is
easy to turn, or, what about one of those ones I've seen that sit near the
ground and you rotate by stepping on the indents in the sides?

Grateful for all advice!

Charlotte

Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 AM
animaux

Any of the tumblers work relatively fast to make finished compost. Is that why
she wants one? If not, what's wrong with an old fashioned stationary compost
bin?

Old 03-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Beecrofter

Charlotte Payne wrote in message ...
Hello! I have gone to google and looked at the old posts on rotating
composters, but none seemed to answer my question: I am looking at
purchasing one for my mother, who is in her early 80s, and small but wiry.
She has had one of the ones on a stand bought maybe 7-10 years ago, and
the handle you rotate it with and the barrel have degraded in the heat.
She would like a new one, and I would like to find one for her that is
easy to turn, or, what about one of those ones I've seen that sit near the
ground and you rotate by stepping on the indents in the sides?

Grateful for all advice!

Charlotte

They cost damn near 400$, for the money I can have a dz cu yds of
mushroom compost delivered..
Old 03-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Chelsea Christenson

animaux wrote:

Any of the tumblers work relatively fast to make finished compost. Is that why
she wants one? If not, what's wrong with an old fashioned stationary compost
bin?

Perhaps it would be inconvenient to turn the compost the old-fashioned way?

Old 03-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Charlotte Payne

It's not the speed; she just found it easier to turn the handle as
opposed to turning the stationary compost. She also has one of those
very small back yards, and the tumbling composter, which we bought way
back when from a person who made them himself, was just what she needed.

Thanks,

Charlotte

wrote:

Hello! I have gone to google and looked at the old posts on rotating
composters, but none seemed to answer my question: I am looking at
purchasing one for my mother, who is in her early 80s, and small but wiry.
She has had one of the ones on a stand bought maybe 7-10 years ago, and
the handle you rotate it with and the barrel have degraded in the heat.
She would like a new one, and I would like to find one for her that is
easy to turn, or, what about one of those ones I've seen that sit near the
ground and you rotate by stepping on the indents in the sides?

Grateful for all advice!

Charlotte

************************
Charlotte Payne
Preservation Department, Shields Library, 100 North West Quad,
University of California, Davis, CA 95616
phone 530.752.6040 // fax 530.754.8785

Old 04-06-2003, 03:32 PM
animaux

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 15:09:42 -0400, Chelsea Christenson
wrote:

animaux wrote:

Any of the tumblers work relatively fast to make finished compost. Is that why
she wants one? If not, what's wrong with an old fashioned stationary compost
bin?

Perhaps it would be inconvenient to turn the compost the old-fashioned way?

You don't have to turn it. I just lay organic matter in mine and in about a
year or so I have compost. So, basically, once a year I get out the pitch fork
and screen it.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:32 PM
animaux

Some of them are way over priced, if you ask me. They do sell somewhere a
compost tumbler which you turn upside down. It's on a pivot of some sort.
Maybe Garden Supply is where I saw it. Search their website

http://www.nenature.com/CompostTumblersBins.htm