Old 06-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default About Sempervivum tectorum

I recently bought a single pot of an exquisitely colored Sempervivum tectorum,
with about a dozen offsets surrounding the parent plant. Is it worth removing
some of these and repotting now? Will this hasten growth in any way, or is it
best to leave these as is to form colonies unaided? (I may want to try some in
the ground, but with our cold rainy spring, I'm not too anxious to introduce
new succulents even in my relatively well-drained garden.)

Thanks....
best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z6b
Old 06-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Wait until the offsets are mature before removing them from the parent
plant.

Removing them and replanting them will help them to form a colony faster.

Old 20-06-2003, 09:44 PM
madgardener

Excellent, thank you. This does, however, bring up the question: what
indicates a mature offset? (E.g., root formation, size, absence of acne,
driver's license, etc.?) Seriously, though, are the offsets likely to

mature
this season? (They're about 1/10th the size of the parent, I'm

estimating.)

Thanks again,
Tyra
nNJ usa z6b

I would think that absence of acne, and the cessation of the "when can I
DRIVEEEEEE" would be the first clue.....LOL, but seriously, the offsets will
mature this season if they get scads of sunlight, ample moisture with great
drainage and you can pull them from the mother around August I would think
to plant into their own place which would give them time to grow roots and
prepare for winter. I think you're going to be surprised that you are now
considered zone 7 like I am. There was a post a bit ago about someone not
feeling the earthquake that moved the tectonic plates in New Jersey, and
apparently the AHS and Dept. Ag. has been tweeking and updating the original
Heat and hardiness zones since it's revising in 1990. I am currently
waiting for my incredibly SLOOOOOOOOOW 'puter to load the website to check
it out as it promised a more user friendly map in June that would respond to
zip codes!

http://www.ahs.org/publications/usda...zone_map.htm#1

by the way, what does the Semp tectorum look like? I am about to send Micki
Crozier a piece of Commander Hay because she used to have a semp business in
Wichita a few years back and it's always good policy to return kind
horticultural favors. g

Picture? E-mail me if you have a pic of it.
madgardener loving every little succulent, cacti, tropical, perennial,
annual and water plant she can get her dirty little hands
on.......................

Old 21-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

"madgardener" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info, Mad. I'm looking forward to increasing the colony, and if
I'm not careful I could easily get into collecting these plants. I have various
sedums but none are as charming as the semps, for sure.

The variety wasn't ID'd on the tag, but from descriptions I've read, it may be
S. tectorum 'Video.' However, I'll hold off on a definitive i.d., until the
color on my monitor comes up (totally unpredictable) and I can do a good
search. I'll let you know!

Yup, I heard we're now in Zone 7......am not at all surprised since it's been
many years since we've had winter temps as low as zero degrees F around my way.
Even this past winter, as bad as it was, saw only maybe two or three nights
with temps briefly hovering in the single digits.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7 (!!)

[IMG] code is On

Tillandsia with a little pup.(No flower) - T tectorum 23B-DSC02155.JPG (1/1) joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 0 23-10-2011 01:14 AM
Tillandsia with a little pup.(No flower) - T tectorum 23B-DSC02155.JPG (0/1) joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 0 23-10-2011 01:14 AM
T. tectorum Wendy7 Garden Photos 0 28-04-2010 09:47 PM
Gone: Iris tectorum Donna Maroni North Carolina 0 01-07-2004 05:03 PM
Free: Iris tectorum Donna Maroni North Carolina 0 30-06-2004 05:10 PM