Old 07-06-2003, 07:32 PM
zxcvbob

Default How to spray an 80' tree with fungicide?

Very large blue spruce in the front yard needs spraying for Spruce Needle
Cast. I just figured out that's why the tree turns purple-brown and drops
half its needles every summer. I think I'll use Bordeaux (sp?) mixture in
a fire extinguisher cuz it's cheap and relatively nontoxic, and I can get
cover most of the tree that way.

Do you think it will work?

Where do I find directions for making bordeaux mixure out of lime and
copper sulfate? Does it stay in suspension pretty good?

How ugly will it look; at least until the rain washes most of it off? I'd
hate to rile the neighbors too much; them thinking I painted the tree baby
blue. (There's probably a law against that...)

Somewhat seriously,
Bob

Old 08-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Marley1372

You are not going to be able to reach 80 feet unless you have a pretty powerful
hydraulic sprayer. I used to use a bean 400 psi sprayer with a 100 gallon tank
and I struggled to reach the 20 foot trees in the permanent plantings. You
would need something very heavy duty to reach. Not sure whether bordeaux will
work to well or if you could even find it anywhere these days.

toad
Old 08-06-2003, 04:08 AM
zxcvbob

Marley1372 wrote:

You are not going to be able to reach 80 feet unless you have a pretty powerful
hydraulic sprayer. I used to use a bean 400 psi sprayer with a 100 gallon tank
and I struggled to reach the 20 foot trees in the permanent plantings. You
would need something very heavy duty to reach. Not sure whether bordeaux will
work to well or if you could even find it anywhere these days.

toad

This is a 2 1/4 (or maybe it's 3) gallon pressurized stream fire
extiguisher. With 100 pounds of pressure and the fire nozzle, it will
shoot a stream over the house. (it's great for water fights) It will
probably reach at least close to the top of the tree. I'll have to reload
a couple of times. I can put a spray nozzle on to reach the lower
branches, which is where the infection is worst.

I'll have to mix the bordeaux myself. Lime is easy to buy. Copper sulfate
will be a little harder, but I think it is sold to kill roots in sewer
pipes. I've never used bordeaux mix, so this will be an adventure.

Bob

Old 08-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Paid2fish

I think Copper sulfate is also used to control algal blooms in ponds. Try
pond maintenance/management vendors.
The MSDS (see link below) for Bordeaux suggests that it can be quite harmful
if mishandled. Applying it to an 80 foot tree can disburse it a great
distance in even the slightest wind. Some things you may want to consider
are; how will the neighbors react to a dose of this stuff? How much would it
cost to have a professional do it? I'm not saying you would be irresponsible
in your application practices, I'm thinking from more of a liability
perspective.
(http://www.pbigordon.com/product_msd...xture_MSDS.pdf)
--

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Marley1372 wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Pecan Spray with fungicide PJx Lawns 0 11-07-2004 05:08 PM
Captan 50% WP fungicide questions - please help Jay von Lehe Orchids 0 16-11-2003 07:12 PM
fungicide Dave and Kim Orchids 2 05-10-2003 11:32 PM
Listerine for fungicide? JimS. Roses 0 12-03-2003 08:21 AM
Please recommend "good value for money" fungicide, fertilizer and insecticide Thomas Wong Orchids 1 28-02-2003 06:17 PM