Old 12-06-2003, 07:32 PM
BoyAngel1127

Default Lawn Care - New Home

Hi

We have a new home with the seed and hay that the builder put down. Some bits
of grass of here and there coming through. Lots of rocks and some debris still
left on the site.

What is the best method we should use to take care of our new "lawn."
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JJ
To email me delete NOjunk from the email address.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:08 PM
pelirojaroja

Water, water, and more water. Keep it moist (with sprinklers) until
established. Even after, remember that your new grass won't have an
established root system to see it through dry spells for a long time yet.
That can take two years or more.

We've seen a lot of lawns put in our new-build neighborhood, and those lawns
whose owners are dedicated waterers get much nicer (more even and more
quickly established) lawns than the ones who don't bother with watering.

Follow established fertilizer/weed controls for your area, but don't put any
fertilizer on the young grass seedlings. Wait until fall, and put on a
light dose.

-- Good luck!

-- pelirojaroja

Old 12-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Marty K

yea water 2x/day to keep it moist at all times, may need more
depending on daytime heat/sun/temp. key is to never let it get dried
out. get a timer sprinkler to help you with this. if it's already
dried out for over 5-7 days you may be looking at reseeding. pick up
a lawncare book at your local library for more instruction on that.
as far as the rocks & debris, you'll need to clean as much of it out
as possible. soil prep is a huge part of a nice lawn. in most cases
the builder is just not going to take the time to do this right.