Old 12-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Rick

Default South Florida landscape architect/designer needed

I need a landscape architect or designer to plan and install plants and sod at
the front and side of my house. At least three contractors have come out to
give estimates, and then never followed up.
From what I could get out of them, none felt comfortable working with someone
who had ideas and knew the names of plants.
I need a designer as I'm artistically impaired, and the size of the work is more
than we could do. We'll barely be able to handle the palm removal ourselves.

If anyone wants to suggest someone or critique my specifications, feel free.
----------------------
Initially proposed plant list:

quantity name size comment
6 or 7 Black Bamboo (bambusa lako) 3 gallon
1 Bismark palm 10ft 4ft
10 Bromeliad (mixed color & species) 1 gallon
5 Spathiphyllum 3 gallon
5 Anthurium “
6 Schefflera arboricola 'Trinette' “
6 Ti Xerox (Cordyline terminalis-Red Sister)“
6 Chi chi (ruellia britoniana) “ aggressive seeder?
5 Xanadu “
3 Medium boulders
Deco stone
Mulch & topsoil no mulch against house

Additions to original proposal

Areas in question
South side of property from front sidewalk to end of screened pool enclosure.
The swale is to be included for the sprinkler (one head) work. The area will be
prepared/graded as needed.
Additionally, the front yard to the north of the driveway is to be resodded.

Sprinklers
The sprinlers for the zone(s) will be repaired/extended as needed.
All sprinkler heads will be concealed, and protected with a swing joint of flex
pipe.
No heads will be installed closer than two inches to a sidewalk, driveway, or
path.
Coverage will be head-to-head.
A map of final system will be supplied upon completion.

Areca and tree removal
The areca canes, queen palm, tabebuia, and mango trees will be removed and
stumps killed by the homeowner before work begins. Only the stumps will need to
be removed/ground by the landscaper on an as needed basis.

Sod
Empire Zoysia will be layed in the area, from the fence eastward. The weeds and
grass will be killed and the area tilled and moistened before the sod is layed.
Additionally, as much of the front yard north of the driveway, will be covered
with the remaining sod. Work should begin from the sidewalk back.
The area to the south and north of the driveway is 500 sq ft. One or two
pallets should be ordered to cover this.

Front yard
A triangular mound with corners at the end of the Ixora hedge, the
sidewalk/property corner, and the driveway/property corner will be constructed.
At the peak will be a planted area with a weed mat and centered on a 4ft (if
this is not a good size, please note in bid) Bismark Palm. The following plants
are offered as suggestions for this area:

Salvia Splendens
Snapdragon
Society Garlic (Tulbaghia violacea)
Zephyr Lily (zephyranthes)
Gloriosa Lily
African Iris (Dietes bicolor)
African Lily (Agapanthus africanus)
Bird-of-paradise
Coreopsis (homeowner will seed as needed)
Kalanchoe/ornamental grasses to fill

Side of garage, east of fence
The bushes against the side of the garage are to be removed, and replaced with
Wedelia (and a weed mat).

Side of house, west of fence
The original proposal dealt mainly with this area. A weed mat is probably not
needed due to the three-quarters shade.
The main view of the garden is to be from the large picture window in the living
room. We plan on placing orchids here in the near future, so that must be taken
in to consideration.
The secondary view is to be from the kitchen window.
The view from along the path is not to be considered.

Dwarf Mondo (Nana) grass will be placed between the stepstones.
Wedelia is to be placed between the stepstones and the house.
Five or six black bamboo (bambusa lako) are to spaced along the fence.

The following plants are offered as suggestions for this area:

Bird-of-paradise (probably not enough sun, though)
African Iris (Dietes bicolor)
Pride of Burma (Curcuma roscoeana)
Walking Iris (Neomarica)
Kaffir Lily (Clivia miniata)
Any lily off the first list that can withstand full shade.

N.B. The bamboo clump may grow to seven feet in diameter so space must be
allowed in the front and back of the clump for pruning, and to the sides for
additional growth.

Side of property, next to screened pool enclosure
This area may or may not have been in the original proposal.
A black bamboo is to be placed between the Slash Pines, where it can best grow
to 40' while becoming entagled as little as possible with the tree canopy.
Since this area gets more light than the side of the house, some of the
suggestions for the front yard may also be appropriate here. The suggestions
for the side of the house may also do well here. Any other plant suggestions
for this area are welcomed.
The existing sprinkler system may extend to this point, but it is no longer
functional.
Space for a stone pathway is to be preserved for a future project.

Bid Requirements
A list consisting of number, species/color, size, and location (front yard,
side, pool) is to be submitted with the final price, start date, proof of
insurance, and occupational license.
The landscaper agrees that the project is to be completed in a timely manner.
Once the bid has been accepted, a sketch of the landscape plans based on the
supplied site plan must be drawn up within the week for submission to the
Homeowners' association. A larger site plan with only the property and house
outline is available.