Old 18-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Problem with Marigolds

I understand your concerns about cost. For the stuff you're absolutely crazy
about, check the info & chart at this link, to learn about which seeds can
be stored for how long. Then, buy the bigger packets.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/07221.html

Call around to sporting goods stores which sell guns. Many sell little metal
boxes filled with silica gel, for keeping guns dry in storage. They're about
the size of a tuna fish can, and can be put in the oven to drive out the
moisture, and then be reused. Store your seeds in an airtight container with
one of these.

Also, some of the bigger home improvement stores will sell Burpee seeds for
as low as half price, beginning in April. That's not early enough for some
varieties that you want to start early, but it is for others.

Old 18-06-2003, 06:32 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

I understand your concerns about cost. For the stuff you're absolutely crazy
about, check the info & chart at this link, to learn about which seeds can
be stored for how long. Then, buy the bigger packets.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/07221.html

Thanks that's helpful.

Call around to sporting goods stores which sell guns. Many sell little metal
boxes filled with silica gel, for keeping guns dry in storage. They're about
the size of a tuna fish can, and can be put in the oven to drive out the
moisture, and then be reused. Store your seeds in an airtight container with
one of these.

I look into that. I have mine in a tight tupperware container in the
fridge, but adding the silica is a good idea.

Also, some of the bigger home improvement stores will sell Burpee seeds for
as low as half price, beginning in April. That's not early enough for some
varieties that you want to start early, but it is for others.

We really only have Home Depot's around here. They did have seed
racks..and they were Burpee's.. however the packets were soaked wet
from being outside and/or nearby racks being hosed down and sitting in
sun when I saw them. I bought a packet of snowpeas, they did grow..
although I'm having problems with them right now. Probably not related
to seed.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 18-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Doug Kanter

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

[...]

If you order directly from Burpee, many of the seeds will come in nice,
thick foil packets with no pictures on the packets, just instructions. But,
they will be absolutely dry. :-)