GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Clump birch planting question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/32270-clump-birch-planting-question.html)

Jack 16-06-2003 04:04 PM

Clump birch planting question

Hello all,
I have two small (8-10ft) whitespire birch trees. The trunks on each are
close to each other, and a bit intertwined. When I plant the tree, is there
a way to safely train the trunks to separate ??

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
-jack

David J Bockman 16-06-2003 04:04 PM

Clump birch planting question

Yes. While still young and supple, I would stake out the trunks, pulling
them apart (or perhaps just one, if that would create a more attractive
shape). I just use black cord and bamboo stakes, being careful to pad the
trunk around which the cord goes. For padding I usually slice a bit of
bicycle tire innertube and place it between trunk and cord.

Dave