Old 24-06-2003, 07:56 PM
dgtns

Default question about foxgloves

Can someone please give me directions about dead-heading FOXGLOVES,
i've read contradicting information.
One place said dead-head because they can rebloom in the same season--
another source said let the plant go to seed, but that it was a
bi-annual and wouldn't flower again for 2 years. WHAT???? if i
deadhead should i wait until the whole branch is spent and cut it or
pick each flower as it fades? (i'm a novice don't laugh)

please anyone with successful experience please respond!
thanks
donna
Old 25-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Lars Forslin

Foxgloves are biennials, which mean that they only grow leafs the first year
and flower the second - after which they die. There is a possibility that
they will come back if they are not allowed to grow seeds. If they grow
seeds, they spend all their last energy into the seed and then die. If they
are not allowed to set seed, they have nowhere to spend that energy, and
they will probably form some basal buds and come back and flower next year
(Because thay didn't fullfill their mission, to set seed). If you have got
the time and patience I guess that deadheading every flower individually is
the safest way, but that might also be overkill. I can imagine that cutting
back all stalks when there are still some buds left unopened can be a good
compromise.

Regards,

Lars Forslin

om...

Old 25-06-2003, 12:56 AM
H Hornblower

Some foxgloves are perennial. Check a seed catalog or book and
see what it says about yours. It may or may not be right.
Either kind will self-seed if you don't dead head. Perennial
ones have come back fine for me even leaving the flowers on. They look
sort of raggedy though. If the weather is right next spring you should
see lots of seedlings which you can move where you like. Hybrids will
not breed true of course.

[IMG] code is On

Question about foxgloves Georgia Gardening 1 26-05-2003 12:32 AM
Foxgloves question GrampysGurl Gardening 1 02-05-2003 11:44 PM
foxgloves again animaux Gardening 0 30-04-2003 12:08 AM
foxgloves Jessica Gardening 6 15-04-2003 07:44 PM
foxgloves, another question Jessica Gardening 0 08-04-2003 10:08 PM