GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wierd Iris Flower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/34662-wierd-iris-flower.html)

NewsUser 28-06-2003 11:32 PM

Wierd Iris Flower

I planted some big bearded iris last fall. Bought them from Shreiner's Iris
Gardens. One of the plants, Swingtown, has begun to flower but the flowers
are growing from ground level rather than on a stalk! The leaves are normal
and the flowers appear normal otherwise.

Has anyone a clue what is going on?? All the rest of the bulbs have bloomed
normally.

Karen
Portland, OR

Cereoid-UR12yo 29-06-2003 02:32 AM

Wierd Iris Flower

Maybe they have gone crazy from all this weird weather?

Its your freaking plant. You tell us what demented thing you did to it.

Starlord 29-06-2003 07:32 AM

Wierd Iris Flower

I've had that happen one or two times during the blooming of my 300 iris, no
reson for it, it just happens.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org

Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/

"NewsUser" wrote in message
I planted some big bearded iris last fall. Bought them from Shreiner's Iris
Gardens. One of the plants, Swingtown, has begun to flower but the flowers
are growing from ground level rather than on a stalk! The leaves are normal
and the flowers appear normal otherwise.

Has anyone a clue what is going on?? All the rest of the bulbs have bloomed
normally.

Karen
Portland, OR

---

NewsUser 29-06-2003 05:20 PM

Wierd Iris Flower

Did the plants continue to bloom that way, or was it just a freak occurance?
I'd just as soon dig this one up if this is its permanent growth habit.
Karen

NewsUser 29-06-2003 05:20 PM

Wierd Iris Flower

Geeze, the only thing unusual is I've been exposing this plant to YOUR
demented messages.
karen

Starlord 29-06-2003 10:56 PM

Wierd Iris Flower

From what has happened in my iris garden, it's a one time deal, that is IF your
growing tbi's, now if you have boarder iris or the smaller ones, they don't grow
tall at all and do bloom low like that.

Starlord 29-06-2003 10:56 PM

Wierd Iris Flower

I had a Thornbird SAI who's first bloom was down like that, but the next stalk
grew nice and tall and had good flowers.

you can see them he http://desert-iris.netfirms.com/