Old 01-07-2003, 10:57 PM
Michael Graham

Default Help me ID two plants - link to photos inc.

Hi,

I'm trying to keep some plants alive in my apartment (Halifax, NS)
There are two plants which I can't identify. But I have photos:

http://users.andara.com/~grahammj/plants-help.html

I don't know how much light or water they need.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

thanks
Mike
Old 01-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Marley1372

The plants you have are called coleus. They prefer lots of shade and need to
be kept moist.

Toad
Old 01-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Michael Graham

Do they have specific common names?
(They look *very* different)

for example I have another Coleus which is called "Alabama Sunset"

mike

Old 01-07-2003, 11:33 PM
animaux

Coleus is the proper name, the varieties are named. There are different
species, but coleus is coleus.

Old 02-07-2003, 12:50 AM
Penny Morgan

They are both Sun Coleus and would really appreciate at least 1/2 day sun or
more. They are very easy to maintain and cuttings will root super easy.
They should be repotted into larger pots though. The first one is called
'Jade' and is one of my favorites. The second one looks like one we called
Frogs Feet or Ducks Feet. It was just a nickname and I don't remember the
botanical name for it.

They can be grown in the ground, but are considered annuals to at least zone
7b (North Carolina). I reside in Raleigh, NC and own a flower planting
service. Sun Coleus is widely used as a center plant in large pots or in
the background of gardens. I recently used a bright solid lime one called
'Gays Delight' and a solid burgundy wine colored one in the back of a bed
with red leafed soft pink begonias in front. Awesome!

If you are keeping them in pots, you can cut them way back on the stems when
cold weather approaches and put the cuttings in a new pot for new plants.
Fertilize them every other week with a liquid fertilizer. Let the soil dry
out completely before watering them. In other words, don't keep them in
constant wet soil. They might droop severely, but will rebound quickly once
they are watered. Some of my sun coleus reaches 2-3 feet in height and
diameter, hence the larger pots are required for a deeper root system. Hope
this helps.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 02-07-2003, 05:44 AM
JNJ

I'm trying to keep some plants alive in my apartment (Halifax, NS)
There are two plants which I can't identify. But I have photos:

http://users.andara.com/~grahammj/plants-help.html

I don't know how much light or water they need.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Coleus and it looks like 'b' is not long for this world either.

James