Old 02-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Liz

Default Many questions before resorting to extreme measures

Hi all, I 've got brown recluse spiders loitering in my shed, they show up from
time to time in the area and one once bit a friend of mine (he's still got a
nasty mark on his leg after a year). I'm not looking forward to that ever
happening again.

My yard also has swarms of what look like gnats but bite. Whatever they are,
more than one person has complained of bites when they walk past one area that
has ivy and an Azalea under a pine tree.

I'm not a pesticide fan, other than the brown recluses I don't go out of my way
to kill anything in the yard, but I've got kids to watch out for and I'm
starting to think about trying the Bayer Advanced hose-on spray.

I have a few concerns about it however. We've got a cat and a dog and they both
like to graze, and I'm not sure if the grass, once treated, would make them
sick. I know the label says it is safe once dried, but I'm a skeptic.

Also if anyone knows of a better (safer, natural) way to keep the swarms of
biting things and the brown recluses away, I'd be glad to hear them.

I've also got a question about landscaping plastic used under gravel next to the
shed. During the Winter we had about an inch of ice covering the gravel and as
it thawed the shed had some water seep in, that never happened before the
plastic went down and I have the feeling I blocked some much needed drainage by
putting the plastic under the gravel. Am I right? I'm not looking forward to
lifting the plastic but I will do what I'm told.

Thanks and sorry for the ramble.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:20 AM
zebrin

Poke some holes in the plastic and you wont have to remove it.
Step on spider with large boot.
Just don't go where you know chiggers are.

Zebrin

Old 15-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Liz

On 12 Jul 2003 02:59:55 -0700, (zebrin) wrote:

Poke some holes in the plastic and you wont have to remove it.

That's what I'm planning, thanks. Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a
waste of time.

Step on spider with large boot.

I'll remember to dress my kids and pets in large boots.

Just don't go where you know chiggers are.

That'll be a problem, it's on the way to half of my house. Any idea what
they're attracted to/repelled by so maybe I can alter what's over there to make
them go away?

Zebrin

Old 15-07-2003, 12:19 AM
Liz

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:27:19 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

(zebrin) wrote in
om:

Poke some holes in the plastic and you wont have to remove it.
Step on spider with large boot.
Just don't go where you know chiggers are.

Zebrin

if I recall correctly, brown recluse spiders and black widow spiders are
the only spiders in North America that are poisonous (maybe deadly
poisonous) to humans. Stepping on them is a rather cavalier way of dealing
with the problem.

Find what environmental factors you can change to make your space a less
hospitable place for them to live. Maybe the will move, maybe not. If
not, call in the big guns.

So far I've been hosing the foliage and dark corners of the yard and house daily
on full blast, I'm seeing less ordinary webs around (hope that isn't making room
for everything else to move in) and I guess I'm going to have to go into the
shed and move things around more often. Thanks!

-- Salty