GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   shade groundcover (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/35309-shade-groundcover.html)

Jacquard_The_Ripper 03-07-2003 03:32 AM

shade groundcover

Hi the

Tell me, what can I grow in zone 3b, under an evergreen (whose
branches have about 4 feet of ground clearance) as a perennial shade
ground cover?

Thanks,
Cynthia

Lynda 03-07-2003 04:44 AM

shade groundcover

Jacquard_The_Ripper wrote:

Hi the

Tell me, what can I grow in zone 3b, under an evergreen (whose
branches have about 4 feet of ground clearance) as a perennial shade
ground cover?

Thanks,
Cynthia

you could try sweet violet.

L.

Jim Elbrecht 03-07-2003 01:20 PM

shade groundcover

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:33:15 GMT,
(Jacquard_The_Ripper) wrote:

Hi the

Tell me, what can I grow in zone 3b, under an evergreen (whose
branches have about 4 feet of ground clearance) as a perennial shade
ground cover?

Sweet Woodruff [Asperula odorata] enjoys deep shade & acid soil. In
my yard it has been kind of a slow starter, but really hardy once
established.
http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_sweet_woodruff.htm

Smells great when you step on it-- makes a good pot-pourri & is the
flavor in the German May Wine. [kind of a vanilla-like flavor].

Jim

Duane Runnels 03-07-2003 10:33 PM

shade groundcover

"Jacquard_The_Ripper" wrote in message
Hi the

Tell me, what can I grow in zone 3b, under an evergreen (whose
branches have about 4 feet of ground clearance) as a perennial shade
ground cover?

Thanks,
Cynthia

I'm not certain if vinca minor is hardy in 3B, but I bet it is. I'm in z5
and have had it under several pines for the last 10 years, flourishing in
almost full shade.

Jacquard_The_Ripper 03-07-2003 10:34 PM

shade groundcover

I think it *is* hardy to zone 3
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/174/
and that's the best suggestion so far. I've seen it in nurseries
around here. I'll try it. Gotta clean it up under the tree first. I
might try a hardy fern too. I have a sprinkler system, so nothing is
going to go thirsty.

THANX
Cynthia