GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Travertine Pavers in a sand bed? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/35334-travertine-pavers-sand-bed.html)

Philip Casciola 03-07-2003 03:44 PM

Travertine Pavers in a sand bed?

Does anyone have any experience with travertine pavers laid in a 1"
sand bed over compacted gravel in a mid-atlantic type climate? The
reasons I want to do this type of install are because I already graded
and compacted 1,500 sq ft of gravel where I was going to put concrete
pavers, and because I am concerned about the freezing/thawing that
occurs during the winters here in New Jersey. The concrete pavers are
just getting too hot in the sun, and I found a couple of places
selling 1-1/4" travertine pavers that I thought would stay much coolor
in direct sunlight.

Tom Baker 03-07-2003 06:56 PM

(Philip Casciola) wrote in message . com...
Does anyone have any experience with travertine pavers laid in a 1"
sand bed over compacted gravel in a mid-atlantic type climate? The
reasons I want to do this type of install are because I already graded
and compacted 1,500 sq ft of gravel where I was going to put concrete
pavers, and because I am concerned about the freezing/thawing that
occurs during the winters here in New Jersey. The concrete pavers are
just getting too hot in the sun, and I found a couple of places
selling 1-1/4" travertine pavers that I thought would stay much coolor
in direct sunlight.

I see no reason stone should hold less heat than concrete.
If those are traditional Travertine, I think they will not last well.
It's pretty porus stuff and would have to be filled and sealed as I remember it.

Tom Baker