GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   amusing veggies (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/368-amusing-veggies.html)

Don Engdahl 02-02-2003 05:51 PM

amusing veggies

Ho, all!

Maybe 18 years ago I bought seeds in Berkeley, CA, for some very
entertaining vegetables. One I remember clearly was a bush bean that
displayed the beans vertically above the plant. There was a yard-long bean,
others.

Anyone have ideas about where to get these now?

--don

FarmerDill 02-02-2003 07:31 PM

amusing veggies

Ho, all!

Maybe 18 years ago I bought seeds in Berkeley, CA, for some very
entertaining vegetables. One I remember clearly was a bush bean that
displayed the beans vertically above the plant. There was a yard-long bean,
others.

Anyone have ideas about where to get these now?

--don

Yard long (asparagus) beans are widely available. Some of the newer bush beans
designed for mechanical picking bear at the top of vine, but I wouldn;t
describe them as vertical. Derby is one of the more popular of the latter type.
http://www.rhshumway.com/ offers both types as do many other seed companies.

Cricket 03-02-2003 05:15 AM

amusing veggies

Ah, but the Asparagus Bean varieties I'm aware of are not bush at all. If I
knew of a bush yard long bean in the world, I would beg, borrow, and steal
to get some seed to select and propagate for our catalog.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket

Pat Brothers 04-02-2003 01:23 AM

amusing veggies

I grew asparagus bean- a pretty little bush with a red flower and a
winged bean which tasted nasty no matter how young I picked it. Got it
form Thompson and Morgan.

Cricket wrote:

[...]

Pat Brothers
The Powell House