Old 02-02-2003, 05:51 PM
Don Engdahl

Default amusing veggies

Ho, all!

Maybe 18 years ago I bought seeds in Berkeley, CA, for some very
entertaining vegetables. One I remember clearly was a bush bean that
displayed the beans vertically above the plant. There was a yard-long bean,
others.

Anyone have ideas about where to get these now?

--don

Old 02-02-2003, 07:31 PM
FarmerDill

Ho, all!

Maybe 18 years ago I bought seeds in Berkeley, CA, for some very
entertaining vegetables. One I remember clearly was a bush bean that
displayed the beans vertically above the plant. There was a yard-long bean,
others.

Anyone have ideas about where to get these now?

--don

Yard long (asparagus) beans are widely available. Some of the newer bush beans
designed for mechanical picking bear at the top of vine, but I wouldn;t
describe them as vertical. Derby is one of the more popular of the latter type.
http://www.rhshumway.com/ offers both types as do many other seed companies.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:15 AM
Cricket

Ah, but the Asparagus Bean varieties I'm aware of are not bush at all. If I
knew of a bush yard long bean in the world, I would beg, borrow, and steal
to get some seed to select and propagate for our catalog.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket

Old 04-02-2003, 01:23 AM
Pat Brothers

I grew asparagus bean- a pretty little bush with a red flower and a
winged bean which tasted nasty no matter how young I picked it. Got it
form Thompson and Morgan.

Cricket wrote:

[...]

The Powell House
Wake Forest, NC
USDA Zone 7b

[IMG] code is On

Off topic but amusing - just for fun! John Varigos Orchids 4 25-01-2007 04:31 PM
amusing safety warnings Eric Gardening 2 05-07-2005 09:58 PM
Totally OT-Amusing. Brian United Kingdom 0 05-07-2005 03:29 PM
amusing uselessness The Admiral Gardening 2 30-11-2004 02:17 AM
[IBC] OT - amusing and at least kinda relevant to the gallery. (DON'T REPLY TO LIST!) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 30-03-2004 05:34 PM