Old 23-07-2003, 03:22 AM
Fleemo

Default Can A Broken Dahlia Be Salvaged?

I came home from a two-week vacation to find that one of my most
prized dahlias ("Shadow Cat") had grown to an amazing height, then
snapped in half from the weight. Can this plant be salvaged? If I
cut it back beneath the break, might it grow more and put out
additional flowers?

Thanks.
Old 23-07-2003, 03:32 PM
GrampysGurl

I came home from a two-week vacation to find that one of my most
prized dahlias ("Shadow Cat") had grown to an amazing height, then
snapped in half from the weight. Can this plant be salvaged? If I
cut it back beneath the break, might it grow more and put out
additional flowers?

Thanks.

I would think so, they are pretty durable plants.Mine grow and bloom till first
frost when I dig them up.
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut
Old 23-07-2003, 10:02 PM
David Hill

No different to having cut the flower, cut back to below the break, stand
back and watch it grow.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-07-2003, 12:42 AM
Bill R

Fleemo wrote:
I came home from a two-week vacation to find that one of my most
prized dahlias ("Shadow Cat") had grown to an amazing height, then
snapped in half from the weight. Can this plant be salvaged? If I
cut it back beneath the break, might it grow more and put out
additional flowers?

Thanks.

I have had several Dahlias that were broken off during
storms and ALL of them recovered and bloomed quite well
during the late summer and fall.

I now use those "ring cages" that they sell for tomatoes to
protect the plants. As soon as I plant the Dahlias I put
the rings over the spot so I know where they should come up.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden visit http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 24-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Starlord

Trim to down to past the broken area and it should grow back fine.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

Old 25-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Fleemo

Many thanks for all the input here folks. I'll keep my fingers
crossed that I get some more blooms before the season ends.

-Fleemo

[IMG] code is On

Salvaged Tomatoes McGerm Edible Gardening 0 16-11-2007 03:09 PM
old rosemary bush broken in wind - what can I do? [email protected] United Kingdom 7 20-01-2005 01:34 PM
At least I salvaged my pump Roy Ponds 0 21-09-2004 01:19 AM
At least I salvaged my pump Roy Ponds 0 21-09-2004 01:19 AM
Can my Echinodorus be salvaged? François Arsenault Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 14-01-2004 06:35 PM