GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wilting Dogwood... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/38649-wilting-dogwood.html)

Chris S. 29-07-2003 01:32 AM

Wilting Dogwood...

Hi All,

I have a mature dogwood tree whose leaves are wilting and curling. All
leaves on the tree are doing this. The lower leaves have black spots and
many are now turning a dark purple and falling off. There is no white
powdery stuff on the leaves. Any ideas on the culprit?

I live in zone 5. No drought conditions. In fact been getting quite a bit
of rain lately. No other shrubs, plants, or trees around have the
symptoms of the dogwood. Although, I do have a lilac nearby with some
yellowing, curling leaves. Also, seems like I remember the tree doing the
same thing last year. But, didn't really pay it much attention.

Any input is much appreciated.
-Chris Swartz

Marley1372 29-07-2003 01:32 AM

Wilting Dogwood...

The symptoms you describe sound alot like dogwood anthracnose. A dead giveaway
is brown spots on the leaves with purple edges around them, and fungal spores
on the one and two year old branches.

Toad