Old 01-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Jim Hamer

Default Irises

I live in Bucks Co PA not far from Philadelphia. Can anyone tell me the
right time to transplant some Irises. What type of soil do they like best.
My backyard is solid clay!!

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

The best time to transplant Irises is after blooming.

They do best in a loamy soil not clay.
You should add as much humus and coir to the soil as you can!!!

Old 02-08-2003, 02:22 AM
fran

I have to question your comment about the soil type for irises. I
have solid clay and while it may have taken a couple more years for
the isires to settle in, they bloom like crazy and have to be thinned
every 3 -4 years. Nor have I amended the soil, except for a small
amount of peat (a 3 sq ft bag dug into a 8 ft by 4 ft plot).

I thin them when the weather starts to cool back down, and have
thinned as late as Thanksgiving (which is 50 degree weather here).

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 23:27:12 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

The best time to transplant Irises is after blooming.

They do best in a loamy soil not clay.
You should add as much humus and coir to the soil as you can!!!

. ..

Old 02-08-2003, 06:12 AM
Starlord

Iris will grow in just about any kind of soil, it's just the better the soil the
better they'll do. I live in the High Mojave Desert north of Los Angeles and
I've got at lest 200 + iris out in my desert feild garden ( you can see my
blooms at http://desert-iris.netfirms.com/ ) One thing you can make is alfafa
tea and pour it around the iris and depending on how you make it, till either
the hay or the pellet mush into the soil and they'll do even better too.

iris-net

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

Old 02-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Alfalfa tea? What about Buckwheat, Spanky and the rest of the "little
rascals"?

Using regular garden fertilizer would be good enough.

Old 02-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

So what?

They would still do much better in a loamy soil. Loam is also much better
for you to work than clay because it isn't hard when dry nor sticky when
wet.

Coir is a better choice as a soil additive than peat because it does not
require destroying the few remaining peat bogs to produce it.

wrote:

The best time to transplant Irises is after blooming.

They do best in a loamy soil not clay.
You should add as much humus and coir to the soil as you can!!!

. ..

Old 02-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Starlord

Not realy, I know of many iris growers, some who grow'm for profit, that use the
alfafa tea and they hay/mash gets tilled into the soil and their iris do better
and better every year. Alfafa is in itself a fixer of N in the soil and the tea
has trace elments that the iris need that normal store bough feeds do not have.
Or are you calling about 1,000+ iris growers ( including myself ) liers?

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning
lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go
again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

om...

Old 03-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Just another fan

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
om...
Alfalfa tea? What about Buckwheat, Spanky and the rest of the "little
rascals"?

Using regular garden fertilizer would be good enough.

More good advice from a gardener without a garden.

BTW dipstick alfalfa tea is used by most successful rosarians...

Old 03-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Starlord

I use the alfafa tea on almost ALL of my plants and as I use Hay to make it
with, I then use the left over hay as mulch for the desert garden I tent too.

--

"Just another fan" wrote in message

More good advice from a gardener without a garden.

BTW dipstick alfalfa tea is used by most successful rosarians...

[IMG] code is On

bearded irises blooming NOW PV North Carolina 4 05-11-2003 08:42 PM
irises in october in north dakota. larry Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
irises Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
Reblooming Irises have not started to grow - are they dead? :( BillC Gardening 5 26-04-2003 09:20 PM
irises Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 07-04-2003 05:33 PM