GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomatoe rot on bottoms of fruit (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/39022-tomatoe-rot-bottoms-fruit.html)

fireman182 01-08-2003 09:27 PM

Tomatoe rot on bottoms of fruit

Greetings to everyone on the site from Minnesota. Just found the site today looking for an answer to one question. I have 3 potted roma tomatoe plants and have noticed that when the fruit starts to ripen, the bottoms of the fruit rot. What can cause this and is there a remedy for this? Thanks in advance to all replies!:cool:

Fito 01-08-2003 09:42 PM

Tomatoe rot on bottoms of fruit

s.com...
--
fireman182

Go he
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/t...444023571.html

Fito

Retiredff 02-08-2003 12:42 AM

"Fito" wrote in message

"fireman182" wrote in message
s.com...

.. I have 3 potted roma
tomatoe plants and have noticed that when the fruit starts to ripen,
the bottoms of the fruit rot. What can cause this and is there a
remedy for this? Go he

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/t...444023571.html

Fito

One disagreement about what they say concerning the use of lime in the
Gardenweb site:

I have stopped blossom end rot within 2-3 weeks just by scratching a small
amount of lime into the dirt around the base of the plant, and then watering
it in good.

Frankhartx 02-08-2003 01:22 AM

Tomatoe rot on bottoms of fruit

From: "Retiredff"

I have stopped blossom end rot within 2-3 weeks just by scratching a small
amount of lime into the dirt around the base of the plant, and then watering
it in good.

Since BER will stop all by itself as the season progrwessses any such "cure" is
moot

[email protected] 02-08-2003 04:02 PM

Tomatoe rot on bottoms of fruit

I recently picked a couple tomatos that had this. They were low on the
plant and perhaps the first ones set or close to it. All the other fruit
looks to be BER free best I can tell. My plants are so thick I have to get
on my hand and knees to see many of the fruit. They are in Earth Boxes.

Incidently, I picked my first ripe tomato yesterday. Words alone cannot
descibe my jubilation. I place it on the table and said a prayer! After
many years of trying to grow my favorite vegetable, next to spring/fall
lettuce and spinach...finally success. Last year was my first garden at
this house and operator error caused disaster with my plants. In previous
years I planted amoungst Black Walnut trees (I didn't have a choice) and
unbeknownst to me, until three years with no tomatos, I discovered from
this newsgroup that the trees were my problem.

I do wish you the best with your tomatos. I know the heartbreak that comes
with a failed tomato crop!

sparkie

Retiredff 03-08-2003 01:42 PM

From: "Retiredff"

I have stopped blossom end rot within 2-3 weeks just by scratching a

small
amount of lime into the dirt around the base of the plant, and then

watering
it in good.

Since BER will stop all by itself as the season progrwessses any such

"cure" is moot

Why would that be? Years ago, I would simply ignore the problem if it
occurred on just one or two plants, and if I had enough to satisfy those
tomato 'urges'. The problem did not correct itself.

simy1 03-08-2003 05:42 PM

From: "Retiredff"

I have stopped blossom end rot within 2-3 weeks just by scratching a

small
amount of lime into the dirt around the base of the plant, and then

watering
it in good.

Since BER will stop all by itself as the season progrwessses any such

"cure" is moot

Why would that be? Years ago, I would simply ignore the problem if it
occurred on just one or two plants, and if I had enough to satisfy those
tomato 'urges'. The problem did not correct itself.

BER will correct itself in marginal conditions, will not correct
itself if the uptake is poor (whether it is too much water or too
little Ca), and will not show up at all in my conditions (raised beds
plus I always give the plants some wood ash).