Old 01-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Registered User

Location: Minnesota
Question Tomatoe rot on bottoms of fruit

Greetings to everyone on the site from Minnesota. Just found the site today looking for an answer to one question. I have 3 potted roma tomatoe plants and have noticed that when the fruit starts to ripen, the bottoms of the fruit rot. What can cause this and is there a remedy for this? Thanks in advance to all replies!
Old 01-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Fito

Default Tomatoe rot on bottoms of fruit

s.com...
--
fireman182

Go he
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/t...444023571.html

Fito

Old 02-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Retiredff

"Fito" wrote in message

"fireman182" wrote in message
s.com...

.. I have 3 potted roma
tomatoe plants and have noticed that when the fruit starts to ripen,
the bottoms of the fruit rot. What can cause this and is there a
remedy for this? Go he

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/t...444023571.html

Fito

One disagreement about what they say concerning the use of lime in the
Gardenweb site:

I have stopped blossom end rot within 2-3 weeks just by scratching a small
amount of lime into the dirt around the base of the plant, and then watering
it in good.

Old 02-08-2003, 04:02 PM

I recently picked a couple tomatos that had this. They were low on the
plant and perhaps the first ones set or close to it. All the other fruit
looks to be BER free best I can tell. My plants are so thick I have to get
on my hand and knees to see many of the fruit. They are in Earth Boxes.

Incidently, I picked my first ripe tomato yesterday. Words alone cannot
descibe my jubilation. I place it on the table and said a prayer! After
many years of trying to grow my favorite vegetable, next to spring/fall
lettuce and spinach...finally success. Last year was my first garden at
this house and operator error caused disaster with my plants. In previous
years I planted amoungst Black Walnut trees (I didn't have a choice) and
unbeknownst to me, until three years with no tomatos, I discovered from
this newsgroup that the trees were my problem.

I do wish you the best with your tomatos. I know the heartbreak that comes
with a failed tomato crop!

sparkie

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 20:51:06 GMT, fireman182
wrote:

Greetings to everyone on the site from Minnesota. Just found the site
today looking for an answer to one question. I have 3 potted roma
tomatoe plants and have noticed that when the fruit starts to ripen,
the bottoms of the fruit rot. What can cause this and is there a
remedy for this? Thanks in advance to all replies!

[IMG] code is On

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
help..the bottoms of my tomatoes are rotting as they ripen I & H Edible Gardening 9 16-08-2004 02:15 PM
black bottoms on tomatos Mary Beal Edible Gardening 7 20-07-2003 09:14 PM
Brown Tomatoe Bottoms... Sarah Dale United Kingdom 18 11-07-2003 09:06 AM
Retention pond bottoms plant recommendation? di Gardening 3 13-02-2003 01:55 PM