Old 09-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Lycoris Link and ID

You look up the botanical terms and get back to us.

Perianth is the sepals and petals = tepals (when they look the same)

Both Lycoris squamigera and Lycoris sprengeri can have blue tipped tepals
depending on temperature (weather) and growing conditions. That character is
not what distinguishes the two from each other.

The important differences to distinguish the two species you ask about a

Lycoris squamigera - tepals (= both whorls of showy flower parts (3 sepals +
3 petals) look alike) have wavy margins toward the base and throat of flower
is yellowish.

Lycoris sprengeri - tepals do not have wavy margins and throat of flower is
whitish.

The plant in your photo is without a doubt Lycoris squamigera.

the differences between the two species.

Alice Gless wrote in message
Here's what it had on squamigera. I don't know what perianth is, will

have to
look that up, but the blue in the one I found is very true and not

purplish or
lavendarish, even though the rest of the blossom has pink to lavendar

tones.

Leaves first appearing in autumn and then reappearing in spring;
perianth
purple

11 LYCORIS
squamigera
+
Leaves appearing in spring; perianth yellow or white.

(5)

Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

Lycoris squamigera is very common in cultivation while Lycoris sprengeri

is
rarely seen.

The plant in your photo has flowers with the wavy tepal margins and

yellow
throat typical for Lycoris squamigera. So, there is no doubt to its
identity.

http://flora.huh.harvard.edu:8080/fl...axon_id=119162

Lycoris squamigera is considered to be a sterile triploid hybrid between
Lycoris sprengeri and Lycoris chinensis.

Jan Flora wrote in message
In article , Alice Gless

wrote:

Are you sure it isn't Lycoris sprengeri? I found a picture of one

which
is very
similar to my flower but the blue is even more pronounced (you will

need
scroll down about halfway):

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...nt/page62.html

In any case, I am very grateful to all who responded.

Is the blue in your flower more pronounced or the blue in that photo?
(That's a gorgeous plant and a cool nursery -- thanks for the link --
I just requested a catalog from them. *g*)

Here's a good photo of a Lycoris squamigera (Naked Lady).

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/930593-product.html

Naked ladies grew all over the yard, when I lived in a Victorian in
the Bay Area. I really miss them. The fragrance is wonderful, too.
I'm trying to figure out how to grow them in Zone 3. They're hardy
to Zone 5. Maybe in big pots that go into the garden shed in the

winter?
Or tons of mulch? I'll have to get my brother to go dig some bulbs up
out of my old garden and send them up. It's worth a try : )

Jan