GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Propagating Christmas cactus? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/40729-propagating-christmas-cactus.html)

Jan Flora 18-08-2003 12:42 PM

Propagating Christmas cactus?

Hey Folks:

Some of my friends have really cool Christmas cactus colors.
I tried rooting a slip, but it croaked. Can anyone give me some
hints on how to do it right?

Jan

Tom Randy 18-08-2003 12:42 PM

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 06:39:12 -0400, Jan Flora wrote:

Hey Folks:

Some of my friends have really cool Christmas cactus colors. I tried
rooting a slip, but it croaked. Can anyone give me some hints on how to
do it right?

Jan

There's nothing to it. Just take a few clippings, put them in SLIGHLY damp
soil out of direct sunlight for a few weeks.

WELLA!

Phisherman 18-08-2003 02:02 PM

Propagating Christmas cactus?

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 02:39:12 -0800, (Jan Flora)
wrote:

Hey Folks:

Some of my friends have really cool Christmas cactus colors.
I tried rooting a slip, but it croaked. Can anyone give me some
hints on how to do it right?

Jan

I don't get 100% of the slips to root. Use a sterile rooting medium
(sand or vermilculite) and rooting hormone. The slips should have 4
or 5 sections. Enclose the cutting in plastic and provide bright
light. They take 6-8 weeks to root. Same thing with orchid cactus,
which I believe are in the same family.

TOM KAN PA 18-08-2003 07:32 PM

Propagating Christmas cactus?

Subject: Propagating Christmas cactus?
From: Phisherman
The slips should have 4 or 5 sections. Enclose the cutting in plastic and
provide bright light.
*************************************************F rom an earlier reply to the
same post:
There's nothing to it. Just take a few clippings, put them in SLIGHLY damp
soil out of direct sunlight for a few weeks.
____Reply Separator_____

Light or no light?

The Human Round-Up 19-08-2003 02:02 AM

Propagating Christmas cactus?

I had a "segment" share a pot with a jade plant outside; I hardly
watered it (about once every two weeks). And I still got the same
results (in about the same time too).

Tom Randy 19-08-2003 02:03 AM

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:24:15 -0400, TOM KAN PA wrote:

Subject: Propagating Christmas cactus? From: Phisherman
The slips should have 4 or 5 sections. Enclose
the cutting in plastic and provide bright light.
the same post:
There's nothing to it. Just take a few clippings, put them in SLIGHLY
damp soil out of direct sunlight for a few weeks. ____Reply
Separator_____

Light or no light?

Light, just no direct sunlight.