Old 22-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Kay M

Default Eliminate St. Augustine

Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of St. Augustine grass
that has infiltrated my fescue lawn? I regularly pull up any runners
but the St. Aug is very persistent and is starting to suffocate the
fescue.
If I put out a pre-emergent this winter will that help next
spring/summer?
Old 22-08-2003, 06:02 AM
TOM KAN PA

Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of St. Augustine grass that has
infiltrated my fescue lawn?
____Reply Separator_____

I did a quick Google search for you. I found the following:

A) Most questions were in regard to ridding other grasses from
the St. Augusine.

B) All the methods of getting rid of the St. Augustine seem
to be spot treatments of Round Up.

Old 22-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Starlord

I know of people who have bulldozed land to get rid of it, down to 2ft deep,
then filled with good soil and all new grass's. Only to have six months later to
see that stuff come back!

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"Kay M" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of St. Augustine grass
that has infiltrated my fescue lawn? I regularly pull up any runners
but the St. Aug is very persistent and is starting to suffocate the
fescue.
If I put out a pre-emergent this winter will that help next
spring/summer?

---

Old 22-08-2003, 06:02 AM
animaux

I doubt it with St. Augustine, but for certain bermuda grass. St. Augustine
does not send down a root system that deep. Thus, it's a waste on water and not
very drought tolerant.

I remove mine with a pitchfork and while sitting on my behind pull it out. I am
not trying to save fescue. I don't know why one would plant fescue (cool
weather turf) with St. Augustine (warm weather turf) together.

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:37:58 -0700, "Starlord" opined:

Old 22-08-2003, 06:03 AM
Lar

In article 7b1caa35.0308211126.6bcdea09
@posting.google.com,
says...
If I put out a pre-emergent this winter will that help next
spring/summer?

The St Augustine won't be spreading by seed, so the pre
emergent won't help.
--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old 22-08-2003, 06:03 AM
Starlord

ST.Aug grass has been used a whole lot here in S.Calif., just drive around the
L.A. area and you'll see many lawns of it. It's been used on some hillsides
because it CAN and will, send roots down deep if the soil is right. I've mowed
hillside lawns of it in the foothill area, and it holds the soil good too. It
will also ware out mowers too.

I watched that man have the front yard dozed and the soil removed, but someplace
some bits of grass where missed and 6 months later it was back.

Old 22-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Kay M

I guess I'm S.O.L. with the St. Aug.
I'll take out my frustration with my boss as I rip out the runners!