GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mares tail (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/41138-mares-tail.html)

Ed 22-08-2003 10:12 PM

Mares tail

HELP!
Please can any one tell me how to get rid of the weed Mares Tail

Jan Flora 23-08-2003 08:02 AM

Mares tail

In article ,
(Ed) wrote:

HELP!
Please can any one tell me how to get rid of the weed Mares Tail

Napalm. Agent Orange. A big bulldozer and a full-soil replacement
with Typar underlayment. (Or concrete.)

Equisetum has underground roots that go all the way to China. Or it
seems like it. The coal seams in my area are lithified Giant Horsetail
plants from the Pleistocene. (!)

When you pull the Mare's Tails up, get as much root as you can, each time.
I have it in my garden and all over the ranch, in our wetter hay meadows.
It's awful stuff. It's prehistoric. So are sharks. Good luck, pard.

I've always wondered if sweetening up the soil pH with lime would make
Horsetail (Equisetum) feel unwelcome. I haven't tried it yet, but intend
to give it a shot.

Jan

Cereoid-UR12- 23-08-2003 11:42 AM

Mares tail

It just seems awful when somebody wants to eradicate a living fossil.

The few remaining Equisetum species have ancestors dating back to long
before the age of dinosaurs.

om...

Cereoid-UR12- 23-08-2003 11:42 AM

Mares tail

Are you hallucinating up there in Alaska, Jan?
You're trippin', babe.

Raising the pH just might work.

Pam 23-08-2003 04:42 PM

Mares tail

Jan Flora wrote:

In article ,
(Ed) wrote:

HELP!
Please can any one tell me how to get rid of the weed Mares Tail

Napalm. Agent Orange. A big bulldozer and a full-soil replacement
with Typar underlayment. (Or concrete.)

Equisetum has underground roots that go all the way to China. Or it
seems like it. The coal seams in my area are lithified Giant Horsetail
plants from the Pleistocene. (!)

When you pull the Mare's Tails up, get as much root as you can, each time.
I have it in my garden and all over the ranch, in our wetter hay meadows.
It's awful stuff. It's prehistoric. So are sharks. Good luck, pard.

I've always wondered if sweetening up the soil pH with lime would make
Horsetail (Equisetum) feel unwelcome. I haven't tried it yet, but intend
to give it a shot.

Jan

It is certainly worth a try, but I fear raising the soil pH to the point where
equisetum is unwelcome would also make the soil pretty inhospitable to
anything other than true alkaline lovers. It is an extremely adaptable
species, hence its survival for thousands of years. Full eradication is
probably not possible but persistance in pulling any visible shoots can keep
it in check. At all costs, do not let the spore bearing shoots mature.

pam - gardengal

Etakbear 23-08-2003 07:02 PM

Mares tail

I've always wondered if sweetening up the soil pH with lime would make
Horsetail (Equisetum) feel unwelcome. I haven't tried it yet, but intend
to give it a shot.

Good luck - I've got a mini forest of it just below an old limestone quarry.

Jan Flora 24-08-2003 12:02 AM

Mares tail

Ed wrote in message
om...
HELP!
Please can any one tell me how to get rid of the weed Mares Tail

Equisetum is in no danger of going extinct in Alaska. It's all over the
place up here and probably all across the circumpolar areas of the
planet. It's flourishing in my garden right now, but it's easy to pull
the mare's tail phase up when I weed.

Have varieties gone extinct?

Jan

Jan Flora 24-08-2003 12:02 AM

Mares tail

In article ,
(Etakbear) wrote:

I've always wondered if sweetening up the soil pH with lime would make
Horsetail (Equisetum) feel unwelcome. I haven't tried it yet, but intend
to give it a shot.

Good luck - I've got a mini forest of it just below an old limestone quarry.

Ah, geeze. Thanks for saving me from that particular experiment : )

Jan

Cereoid-UR12- 24-08-2003 02:32 AM

Mares tail

Many species have gone extinct.
There were even some species that reached tree-like proportions in the (now
extinct) allied genus Calamites!!!

http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVF...lamitedwg.html

Don't worry. They went extinct hundreds of millions of years ago.
Long before you were even born!!!

There are only about 30 species of Equisetum that survive today.

vegan 24-08-2003 11:02 PM

Mares tail

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:48:26 -0800, (Jan Flora)
wrote:

Ed wrote in message
om...
HELP!
Please can any one tell me how to get rid of the weed Mares Tail

Equisetum is in no danger of going extinct in Alaska. It's all over the
place up here and probably all across the circumpolar areas of the
planet. It's flourishing in my garden right now, but it's easy to pull
the mare's tail phase up when I weed.

Have varieties gone extinct?

Jan

Off topic sort of....We pay 35 cents apieve for use in cut flower
arrangement. That's for each stem!!!

Etakbear 25-08-2003 03:32 PM

Mares tail

I've always wondered if sweetening up the soil pH with lime would make
Horsetail (Equisetum) feel unwelcome. I haven't tried it yet, but intend
to give it a shot.

Good luck - I've got a mini forest of it just below an old limestone

quarry.

Ah, geeze. Thanks for saving me from that particular experiment : )

Maybe you could become a Horsetail supplier to the herbal trade?