Old 22-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Ed

Default Mares tail

HELP!
Please can any one tell me how to get rid of the weed Mares Tail
Old 23-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

It just seems awful when somebody wants to eradicate a living fossil.

The few remaining Equisetum species have ancestors dating back to long
before the age of dinosaurs.

om...

Old 23-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Etakbear

I've always wondered if sweetening up the soil pH with lime would make
Horsetail (Equisetum) feel unwelcome. I haven't tried it yet, but intend
to give it a shot.

Good luck - I've got a mini forest of it just below an old limestone quarry.
Old 24-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Jan Flora

Ed wrote in message
om...
HELP!
Please can any one tell me how to get rid of the weed Mares Tail

Equisetum is in no danger of going extinct in Alaska. It's all over the
place up here and probably all across the circumpolar areas of the
planet. It's flourishing in my garden right now, but it's easy to pull
the mare's tail phase up when I weed.

Have varieties gone extinct?

Jan
Old 24-08-2003, 02:32 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Many species have gone extinct.
There were even some species that reached tree-like proportions in the (now
extinct) allied genus Calamites!!!

http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVF...lamitedwg.html

Don't worry. They went extinct hundreds of millions of years ago.
Long before you were even born!!!

There are only about 30 species of Equisetum that survive today.

Old 25-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Etakbear

I've always wondered if sweetening up the soil pH with lime would make
Horsetail (Equisetum) feel unwelcome. I haven't tried it yet, but intend
to give it a shot.

Good luck - I've got a mini forest of it just below an old limestone

quarry.

Ah, geeze. Thanks for saving me from that particular experiment : )

Maybe you could become a Horsetail supplier to the herbal trade?

[IMG] code is On

mares tail Karin United Kingdom 76 15-02-2004 01:23 PM
mares tail [OT] Tom Bennett United Kingdom 2 11-02-2004 04:48 AM
mares tail [OT] Tom Bennett United Kingdom 0 11-02-2004 04:48 AM
mares tail , horse tail David Hill United Kingdom 0 01-02-2004 11:20 PM
mares tail hendo2002 United Kingdom 4 26-06-2003 09:44 AM