Old 23-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Joseph Logan

Default Tilling your lawn

I have a front lawn (only about 60 x 60) which is basically all weeds.
The soil is fairly poor in some areas with some gravel in places
where they probably had a bed for something or another years back. Is
it OK to just till the entire area without actually digging up any of
the grass before I start? I assume that all of the weeds will remain
in the soil and I don't know if this is a good thing or something to
avoid.
Old 23-08-2003, 05:22 PM
David J Bockman

If you till, you should take the time to add a signifigant amount of
amendments at the same time. Generally tilling will leave you with large
clumps of grass and roots which should be cleaned up before you lay your
seed down.

Tilling will also disturb and cause to germinate hundreds if not thousands
of dormant weed seeds that you bring to the surface.

Dave

"Joseph Logan" wrote in message
om...
I have a front lawn (only about 60 x 60) which is basically all weeds.
The soil is fairly poor in some areas with some gravel in places
where they probably had a bed for something or another years back. Is
it OK to just till the entire area without actually digging up any of
the grass before I start? I assume that all of the weeds will remain
in the soil and I don't know if this is a good thing or something to
avoid.

[IMG] code is On

Tilling a lawn New homeowner Gardening 3 20-04-2008 03:00 AM
Tilling Gardens and Flower Beds [in Raleigh area] james North Carolina 7 16-03-2004 04:33 AM
Tilling - Double-Digging? Need Advice Joe98 Gardening 21 20-10-2003 11:02 PM
Tilling vs aeration? John F North Carolina 14 15-10-2003 04:32 PM