GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Planting asters? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/41222-planting-asters.html)

Boris Zakharin 24-08-2003 02:02 AM

Planting asters?

We have gotten a bouquet of what look like asters recently and I was
surprised to see roots and new foliage growth after awhile in the vase. The
question is, would it be practical to plant them at this time of year? If
so, where should I plant them? We live in the Philadelphia area.

Thanks in advance,
Boris Zakharin

Jan Flora 24-08-2003 08:32 AM

Planting asters?

In article , "Boris Zakharin"
wrote:

We have gotten a bouquet of what look like asters recently and I was
surprised to see roots and new foliage growth after awhile in the vase. The
question is, would it be practical to plant them at this time of year? If
so, where should I plant them? We live in the Philadelphia area.

Thanks in advance,
Boris Zakharin

Plant them in full sun. You don't have anything to lose by trying. Asters
are pretty and easy to grow. IIRC, I used to cut my way down in late fall
(in California, the land of boring weather), and they'd come back like crazy
in the spring.

Jan

Pam 24-08-2003 06:42 PM

Planting asters?

Boris Zakharin wrote:

We have gotten a bouquet of what look like asters recently and I was
surprised to see roots and new foliage growth after awhile in the vase. The
question is, would it be practical to plant them at this time of year? If
so, where should I plant them? We live in the Philadelphia area.

Thanks in advance,
Boris Zakharin

Depends on whether your bouquet was comprised of true perennial asters or
annual asters, Callistephus, which are typically much more common as cut
flowers. Perennial ones are typically offered for sale at this time of year and
now is a fine time to plant. OTOH, planting annual asters now is not going to
achieve much - they will be toast after the first frost.

pam - gardengal