GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   navel oranges, out of season? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/41521-navel-oranges-out-season.html)

[email protected] 28-08-2003 07:12 AM

navel oranges, out of season?

in the last to three months, I have had difficulty in buying navel
oranges, you know small ones in the plastic bags. You can find the
big puffy ones, but they lacked taste. Is a reason they are so
scarce.? Thanks in advance, C. L.

Elizabeth 28-08-2003 02:02 PM

navel oranges, out of season?

wrote in message
in the last to three months, I have had difficulty in buying navel
oranges, you know small ones in the plastic bags. You can find the
big puffy ones, but they lacked taste. Is a reason they are so
scarce.? Thanks in advance, C. L.

Navels are a cool season crop. New crop will start in Dec. Try a grocery
that imports from southern hemisphere. Valencia harvest is underway in the
US right now. Time to enjoy some excellent orange juice :-)

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

animaux 29-08-2003 04:22 AM

navel oranges, out of season?

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 01:05:37 -0500, opined:

in the last to three months, I have had difficulty in buying navel
oranges, you know small ones in the plastic bags. You can find the
big puffy ones, but they lacked taste. Is a reason they are so
scarce.? Thanks in advance, C. L.

You can buy them now, but if we ate what was naturally available in our
conditions, health would be better. I don't eat melon if it's out of season
here. Many conditions like how much daylight etc effect how our bodies operate
and I find for me, allergies are way down when I adhere to a diet of things
which are available in my part of the world, at that time.

Now, if I could just eat LESS of it, I'd be in good shape.

Wendy Chatley Green 29-08-2003 12:13 PM

navel oranges, out of season?

:
:in the last to three months, I have had difficulty in buying navel
:oranges, you know small ones in the plastic bags. You can find the
:big puffy ones, but they lacked taste. Is a reason they are so
:scarce.? Thanks in advance, C. L.
:
:You can buy them now, but if we ate what was naturally available in our
:conditions, health would be better. I don't eat melon if it's out of season
:here. Many conditions like how much daylight etc effect how our bodies operate
:and I find for me, allergies are way down when I adhere to a diet of things
:which are available in my part of the world, at that time.

If I move from my home area, do I have to keep eating what is
in season there or can I switch to what's available where I now live?

--
Wendy Chatley Green

animaux 29-08-2003 02:32 PM

navel oranges, out of season?

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:02:48 -0400, Wendy Chatley Green
opined:

If I move from my home area, do I have to keep eating what is
in season there or can I switch to what's available where I now live?

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but I didn't tell anyone they
had to do anything. I conveyed what I do. There is plenty of information about
phenology out there. Go take a gander.

Hope Munro Smith 29-08-2003 07:12 PM

navel oranges, out of season?

animaux wrote in
:

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:02:48 -0400, Wendy Chatley Green
opined:

If I move from my home area, do I have to keep eating what is
in season there or can I switch to what's available where I now live?

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but I didn't tell
anyone they had to do anything. I conveyed what I do. There is
plenty of information about phenology out there. Go take a gander.

I did a google search and the sites I'm finding aren't helping me figure
out what I should eat now in California. Any particular sites you can
recommend?

animaux 30-08-2003 03:22 AM

navel oranges, out of season?

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:09:42 GMT, Hope Munro Smith opined:

animaux wrote in
:

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:02:48 -0400, Wendy Chatley Green
opined:

If I move from my home area, do I have to keep eating what is
in season there or can I switch to what's available where I now live?

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but I didn't tell
anyone they had to do anything. I conveyed what I do. There is
plenty of information about phenology out there. Go take a gander.

I did a google search and the sites I'm finding aren't helping me figure
out what I should eat now in California. Any particular sites you can
recommend?

No. Go to a farmers market.

Chris Owens 04-09-2003 06:02 AM

navel oranges, out of season?

wrote:

in the last to three months, I have had difficulty in buying navel
oranges, you know small ones in the plastic bags. You can find the
big puffy ones, but they lacked taste. Is a reason they are so
scarce.? Thanks in advance, C. L.

They're not in season; you'll find them in the stores at their
best price in early winter.

Chris Owens