GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato Plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/41674-tomato-plant.html)

Nanceemo 30-08-2003 06:42 AM

Tomato Plant

My tomato plant is just ridiculous, over 5' tall and although staked, hanging
over the side of a raised bed. It's not producing many tomatoes, and those
small. It's an Early Girl, I think. Can it be pruned back so the foliage
isn't sucking up all the energy? My first year trying to grow anything, sorry
but I admit I'm not tomato literate. : )

Nancy

Frankhartx 30-08-2003 09:32 AM

Tomato Plant

rom: (Nanceemo)

My tomato plant is just ridiculous, over 5' tall and although staked, hanging
over the side of a raised bed. It's not producing many tomatoes, and those
small. It's an Early Girl, I think. Can it be pruned back so the foliage
isn't sucking up all the energy? My first year trying to grow anything,
sorry
but I admit I'm not tomato literate. : )

Nancy

Possible causes: excess nitrogen fertilizer causing green groeth at the

expense of fruit-avoid addinmg any nitrogen fertilizer---exces heat over 90
degrees can can affect fruit set adversly--a combination of both these
condirions

~ Lori ~ 30-08-2003 02:32 PM

Tomato Plant

My tomato plant is just ridiculous, over 5' tall and although staked,
hanging
over the side of a raised bed. It's not producing many tomatoes, and those
small. It's an Early Girl, I think. Can it be pruned back so the foliage
isn't sucking up all the energy? My first year trying to grow anything,
sorry
but I admit I'm not tomato literate. : )

Nancy

My Early Girl's went nuts this year too. Easily 4 feet wide and 5 feet
tall, but the best part is that the yield has been great too! The foliage
hasn't seemed to hinder the fruiting at all.
Lori

Phisherman 30-08-2003 04:22 PM

Tomato Plant

On 30 Aug 2003 05:34:30 GMT, (Nanceemo) wrote:

My tomato plant is just ridiculous, over 5' tall and although staked, hanging
over the side of a raised bed. It's not producing many tomatoes, and those
small. It's an Early Girl, I think. Can it be pruned back so the foliage
isn't sucking up all the energy? My first year trying to grow anything, sorry
but I admit I'm not tomato literate. : )

Nancy

Give it time. Most tomato plants look like something between a bush
and a vine, depending on staking, suckering, water, variety, etc. It
needs foliage to make food for the plant, and it needs plenty of
sunshine to produce fruit. Give it a light feeding of fertilizer
every 3 weeks.

Chris Owens 04-09-2003 01:22 AM

Tomato Plant

Nanceemo wrote:

My tomato plant is just ridiculous, over 5' tall and although staked, hanging
over the side of a raised bed. It's not producing many tomatoes, and those
small. It's an Early Girl, I think. Can it be pruned back so the foliage
isn't sucking up all the energy? My first year trying to grow anything, sorry
but I admit I'm not tomato literate. : )

Nancy

Depending on where you live, this was not a great year for
tomatoes. At this point, unless you live in the deep south,
pruning back isn't going to be very productive; the plant will
die with the first frost.

Chris Owens