Old 30-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Nanceemo

Default Tomato Plant

My tomato plant is just ridiculous, over 5' tall and although staked, hanging
over the side of a raised bed. It's not producing many tomatoes, and those
small. It's an Early Girl, I think. Can it be pruned back so the foliage
isn't sucking up all the energy? My first year trying to grow anything, sorry
but I admit I'm not tomato literate. : )

Nancy
Old 30-08-2003, 02:32 PM
~ Lori ~

My tomato plant is just ridiculous, over 5' tall and although staked,
hanging
over the side of a raised bed. It's not producing many tomatoes, and those
small. It's an Early Girl, I think. Can it be pruned back so the foliage
isn't sucking up all the energy? My first year trying to grow anything,
sorry
but I admit I'm not tomato literate. : )

Nancy

My Early Girl's went nuts this year too. Easily 4 feet wide and 5 feet
tall, but the best part is that the yield has been great too! The foliage
hasn't seemed to hinder the fruiting at all.
Lori

Old 04-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Chris Owens

Nanceemo wrote:

My tomato plant is just ridiculous, over 5' tall and although staked, hanging
over the side of a raised bed. It's not producing many tomatoes, and those
small. It's an Early Girl, I think. Can it be pruned back so the foliage
isn't sucking up all the energy? My first year trying to grow anything, sorry
but I admit I'm not tomato literate. : )

Nancy

Depending on where you live, this was not a great year for
tomatoes. At this point, unless you live in the deep south,
pruning back isn't going to be very productive; the plant will
die with the first frost.

Chris Owens