GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Please Help Identify Plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/41864-please-help-identify-plant.html)

JW 01-09-2003 04:02 PM

Please Help Identify Plant

My father has some volunteer plants in his butterfly garden (mostly zinnias).

We are unsure as to what this is.

http://www.cyberturf.com/wolgamuths/...s/DSC00052.jpg

It's the purple spikey flower in the background. Thanks!

Cereoid-UR12- 01-09-2003 04:02 PM

Please Help Identify Plant

Difficult to say whether it is a Celosia or Amaranthus from the picture but
its either one.

om...

Sed5555 01-09-2003 07:02 PM

Please Help Identify Plant

My father has some volunteer plants in his butterfly garden (mostly zinnias).

We are unsure as to what this is

Amaranthus. See:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...s/amaranth.htm
sed5555

Cereoid-UR12- 01-09-2003 10:02 PM

Please Help Identify Plant

Wonderful except the plants doesn't match any of the Amaranthus shown in the
link.

It could just as easily be a Celosia.

The difference between the two genera is slight and they have been reported
to hybridize.

Amaranthus [stigma 2-3, distinct to the base]

Celosia [stigmas united into a style]