Old 01-09-2003, 04:02 PM
JW

Default Please Help Identify Plant

My father has some volunteer plants in his butterfly garden (mostly zinnias).

We are unsure as to what this is.

http://www.cyberturf.com/wolgamuths/...s/DSC00052.jpg

It's the purple spikey flower in the background. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Difficult to say whether it is a Celosia or Amaranthus from the picture but
its either one.

om...

Old 01-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Sed5555

My father has some volunteer plants in his butterfly garden (mostly zinnias).

We are unsure as to what this is

Amaranthus. See:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...s/amaranth.htm
sed5555
Old 01-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Wonderful except the plants doesn't match any of the Amaranthus shown in the
link.

It could just as easily be a Celosia.

The difference between the two genera is slight and they have been reported
to hybridize.

Amaranthus [stigma 2-3, distinct to the base]

Celosia [stigmas united into a style]