Old 01-09-2003, 07:02 PM

Default Taming Out of Control Piece of Land

I have an out of control parcel of land which is full of weed, shrubs,
even small trees. It has been like this for about 10 years now, so
various animals currently inhabit the land (groundhogs, rabbits, etc.)
What's the best means of cleaning up this parcel? Of course, I want
to convert this untamed piece of land to a lawn full of green grass.

I was told that the best means of doing so would be to buy heavy,
thick black plastic covers, so that no sunlight will penetrate. I was
also told, however, that it's too late in the season to do so (I live
in New Jersey which has four full seasons).

Is this right? If so, is there anything I can do between now and the
next summer? Do weed killers work in fall or winter?

How would you go about taming a piece of property like this?
Old 02-09-2003, 06:02 AM
HARRYLEHMANHORSELOGGING

why don't you rethink your objectives instead of nuking the whole place.
look in to bird and butterfly and friendly habitat with some meadow
mixes. A pristine lawn is a dead zone. Read up on endophyte turfs that
look really good but are bad for the bugs. The bird eat the nuked bugs,
and go someplace and die. check your local audubon for suggestions.

Old 02-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Peter H

wrote in message
I have an out of control parcel of land which is full of weed, shrubs,
even small trees. It has been like this for about 10 years now, so
various animals currently inhabit the land (groundhogs, rabbits, etc.)
What's the best means of cleaning up this parcel? Of course, I want
to convert this untamed piece of land to a lawn full of green grass.

I was told that the best means of doing so would be to buy heavy,
thick black plastic covers, so that no sunlight will penetrate. I was
also told, however, that it's too late in the season to do so (I live
in New Jersey which has four full seasons).

Is this right? If so, is there anything I can do between now and the
next summer? Do weed killers work in fall or winter?

How would you go about taming a piece of property like this?

Roundup will tame that piece of property in short order, but you will still
be left with the dead stuff to pull out and dispose of. You can use
weedkillers in the fall.

Peter H

Old 03-09-2003, 04:02 AM
Oscar_lives

"Peter H" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

wrote in message
[...]

Just burn it out...

Old 03-09-2003, 03:02 PM
pelirojaroja

I have found when reclaiming old pasture land for a lawn that you will
eventually get grass if you keep mowing it. The trick is keeping the weeds
from seeding out. I would try mowing it, then in the fall do the following:
aerate, top-dress with compost, and overseed/water to encourage new growth.
We managed to get a nice Iowa lawn in 2 years -- it had been really ROUGH
pasture land before that. Without any really drastic measures.

--
-- pelirojaroja
"There is a garden in every childhood,

-- Elizabeth Lawrence
"Oscar_lives" wrote in message
newsBc5b.335978$YN5.231135@sccrnsc01...

"Peter H" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

Old 04-09-2003, 06:02 AM
Chris Owens

wrote:

I have an out of control parcel of land which is full of weed, shrubs,
even small trees. It has been like this for about 10 years now, so
various animals currently inhabit the land (groundhogs, rabbits, etc.)
What's the best means of cleaning up this parcel? Of course, I want
to convert this untamed piece of land to a lawn full of green grass.

I was told that the best means of doing so would be to buy heavy,
thick black plastic covers, so that no sunlight will penetrate. I was
also told, however, that it's too late in the season to do so (I live
in New Jersey which has four full seasons).

Is this right? If so, is there anything I can do between now and the
next summer? Do weed killers work in fall or winter?

How would you go about taming a piece of property like this?

This fall, remove all the trees. Then, get a bush hog and
bulldozer to rip up everything else. Chipper it all into mulch,
and spread it across the graded property. Next spring, use an
harrow to till it back into the soil. Then, plant your lawn. If
you aren't familiar with the operation of these machines, you'd
be MUCH better off hiring this done, BTW.

Chris Owens

[IMG] code is On

New piece of land ray_01 United Kingdom 3 22-07-2008 03:37 PM
eucalyptus taming Sue United Kingdom 6 26-11-2006 04:04 PM
Taming the garden... Marcus Fox United Kingdom 1 26-03-2005 11:40 AM
Taming Out of Control Piece of Land [email protected] Lawns 7 04-09-2003 06:03 AM
taming a pumpkin plant Tom Elliott Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:34 AM