Old 07-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Barbara Yanus

Default O/T Acid in the pool

Hi,
I just got my pool looking good again. From all the rain that we had,
and no swimming, the pool turned a bright shade of green. It almost looked
like a pond instead of a pool. I put two packages of shock in it, and some
PH, and it's just about cleared up. Problem is, when I tested the water,
now it might have too much PH, the test kit said to add acid. My question
is, what household product can I use to put more acid in the water. I
remember someone posted a sight one time, that listed household products
could be used instead of buying those expensive ones from the pool stores.
Can anyone help me?

thanks

Bebra1

NE PA
zone 6b

Old 07-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Michelle

Muratic acid. Sold at Lowe's and most other home improvement stores.
Usually in with the paint thinners etc. I have used it for years.

.. .

Old 07-09-2003, 04:32 PM

correct, dont use vinegar, it s organic and bacteria break it down. but if you dont
have fish in the pond, why do you care what the pH is? Ingrid

"Michelle" wrote:

Muratic acid. Sold at Lowe's and most other home improvement stores.
Usually in with the paint thinners etc. I have used it for years.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Frank Logullo

"Barbara Yanus" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,
I just got my pool looking good again. From all the rain that we had,
and no swimming, the pool turned a bright shade of green. It almost

looked
like a pond instead of a pool. I put two packages of shock in it, and

some
PH, and it's just about cleared up. Problem is, when I tested the water,
now it might have too much PH, the test kit said to add acid. My question
is, what household product can I use to put more acid in the water. I
remember someone posted a sight one time, that listed household products
could be used instead of buying those expensive ones from the pool stores.
Can anyone help me?

You might try muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) from a hardware store like
Home Depot but be careful, its strong stuff.
I'm not sure what pool store supplies but look at label, it may be the same
acid.
Frank

Old 07-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Lynne

True, one should always take care of the living first. But with swimming
pools the correct pH has the best effect on sanitization and the least
detriment to the plumbing. The latter being especially important to the
longevity of the system.

wrote in message
correct, dont use vinegar, it s organic and bacteria break it down. but

if you dont
have fish in the pond, why do you care what the pH is? Ingrid

I make.