Old 07-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Shell91

Default Small Garden Update

I got all my irises planted finally, 18 of them, and I was wondering if
anyone uses anything like miracle grow on newly planted bulbs or rhizomes?
I want to feed the other plants that are already established but I don't
want to cause problems for the new plants. Plus is it a good idea to feed a
hanging basket full or moss roses this close to cooler weather?

Shell

Old 09-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Madgardener

"Shell91" wrote in message
.. .
I got all my irises planted finally, 18 of them, and I was wondering if
anyone uses anything like miracle grow on newly planted bulbs or rhizomes?
I want to feed the other plants that are already established but I don't
want to cause problems for the new plants. Plus is it a good idea to feed

hanging basket full or moss roses this close to cooler weather?

Shell

you don't have to put anything on the iris rhizomes, Shellie. As for bulbs,
if they're spring bulbs, a little bit of granular food is fine, because the
bulb has everything it needs for spring showing. Time release food like
Osmacote is good because it gradually feeds a little at a time with watering
or rains or snows. The irises will be fine as they slowly establish this
fall and hunker down for winter. You should see results of good growth come
spring time. Make sure if you mulch around the irises this fall you pull the
mulch away next year to ensure they are exposed enough to eventually bloom
for you. A little liquid fertilizer for the moss roses won't hurt them, I'd
put them on the southwest side of the house so they can benefit from the
most sunlight they can get. They're winding down now as it is. I'm seeing
slower ripening of my figs now and they're just now starting to ripen a
handful each day and I see above me on the branches lots and lots more. I
just hope we stay warm enough to harvest what I have left on the tree before
it cools off too much! (they're soooo sweet!)

I hope this helps.
madgardener zone 7 in Eastern Tennessee

Old 10-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Shell91

"Madgardener" wrote in message

"Shell91" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for he information. I've got the moss rose hanging by the garage,
one of the sunniest spots I have. The way my house is situated I get lots of
sun, the front is facing kind of northwest and the back is kind of
southeast, so the sides get sun all day. The way my irises are planted the
grass grows up around them and serves as mulch in the winter (all three days
of it ) Mostly I just let things alone since they seem to like the spot
they're in. I've gotten some very small succulents planted in potting soil
in a terracotta azalea pot and my lacey leaf japanese red maple in another
pot. They are the ones I'm most concerned with feeding. My japanese blood
grass and purple fountain grass are in pots and are looking a bit ragged
right now so I thouhgt I'd feed them a bit too. Hopefully I will be able to
get everything fixed up in my two small garden areas and be able to post
some nice pictures soon. The irises I planted before our last tropical
storm nearly doubled thier size with all the rain and I found where my rust
colored iris has sent out another plant

Shell