Old 19-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Ed Schmitt

Default Asparagus

When can I mow down my Asparagus plants. I want to rototill the surface
about two inches to get rid of the weeds, and then fertilize and cover
for the winter.
Old 20-09-2003, 04:02 AM
Dwayne

Ed, I try to wait until the middle of winter. Then I burn it off. The
ashes help the asparagus and the fire kills any seeds waiting to germinate.
If you rototill it, you will bury the seeds and will need to use a
pre-emergent in the spring.

Another trick that worked was to cover the asparagus spears in the spring,
with paper cups, and spray the bed with round up. If you are bothered with
crabgrass, use a crabgrass killer like Over The Top".

Dwayne

Old 20-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Chris Owens

Ed Schmitt wrote:

When can I mow down my Asparagus plants. I want to rototill the surface
about two inches to get rid of the weeds, and then fertilize and cover
for the winter.

You can remove the ferns when they turn yellow. However, be
careful with the rototilling; you could easily damage the
crowns. It'd be better to weed and till by hand.

Chris Owens