GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Long Island - Dahlias (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/44257-long-island-dahlias.html)

HA HA Budys Here 28-09-2003 01:32 PM

Long Island - Dahlias

Hello,

In my zone, will dahlias survive if left in the ground or should I dig them out
and store them?

This is my first season for planting them, and they did great in my garden and
also in pots on my deck. Most did so well, they fell over and re-sprouted,
sometimes more than once- so they look like waves.

Thanks

NAearthMOM 28-09-2003 02:32 PM

Long Island - Dahlias

Dig them up!

"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

HA HA Budys Here 28-09-2003 02:32 PM

Long Island - Dahlias

From: arden (NAearthMOM)

Dig them up!

"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

OK will do. Any tips on storing them?

Coal Porter 28-09-2003 03:32 PM

Long Island - Dahlias

On 28 Sep 2003 13:28:35 GMT, (HA HA Budys Here) wrote:

From:
arden (NAearthMOM)

Dig them up!

"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

OK will do. Any tips on storing them?

I have a friend across the sound from you in Fairfield, that leaves them in the
ground in the southern exposure beds near the foundation. I'm always amazed to
see them come up the next year, although I can't say how many do. I live a few
more miles inland and dig them up although some stragglers have wintered over
and produced the next year.

As to storage, I keep them in a dark corner of my unheated basement and have
only lost the occassional tuber to rot. My understanding is that a heated
basement is not a good thing.

-c,porter.

Jerry Minasi 29-09-2003 04:33 PM

Long Island - Dahlias

On 28 Sep 2003 12:24:21 GMT, (HA HA Budys Here)
wrote:

Hello,

In my zone, will dahlias survive if left in the ground or should I dig them out
and store them?

This is my first season for planting them, and they did great in my garden and
also in pots on my deck. Most did so well, they fell over and re-sprouted,
sometimes more than once- so they look like waves.

Thanks

As soon as the frost kills the flowers, DIG THEM UP! Rinse them off,
dry them. Store them in a cool dry place but don't allow them to
freeze. I failed to dig them up one year and lost everyone of them.
I'm in East Yaphank, (North Shirley), Long Island.