Old 28-09-2003, 05:02 PM

Default Pine needles [was: Hedge right next to fence = problem?]

On 28 Sep 2003 13:33:38 GMT, (Lecher9000) wrote:

If you do plant the type that grows vigorously, it's important to keep them
trimmed and somewhat compact. Last winter we had heavy snow and ice storms,
and arborvitae that had been left to grow to 20 feet had their tops bent
over.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Sue, Thanks. I want the living visual screen to be tall, so maybe AV are
not the choice if they're going to break off in winter. I get lots of snow and

Maybe some pine trees of some sort.

I hate all the needles and dead grass under pines though. hmmm....

We have needles galore on our street, from some horribly misjudged
tree planting long before my time. [1] Everybody HATES them -- the
pine sap on cars, the prickly seeds all over the sidewalks and
driveways, and the needles burying everything.

However, there's an upside to the needles -- they make an excellent
addition to the compost heap. At least it works here -- would like
to hear the opinion of others.

[1] People also hate/love the ficus on many streets. The roots pull
up sidewalks. Battle is currently raging on another street where the
city wants to take out some weakened ficus for liability reasons --
people tripping over the pulled-up sidewalks, but the residents want
other solutions rather than -- as they say -- having to wait 50 years
for a canopy as dense as the existing ficus. A Solomon -- a Solomon -
is needed for this decision! One has to wonder what kind of
"arborist", if any, the city hired to put in these trees umpty years
ago!

--

Persephone

Old 28-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Lecher9000

I have access to 2 baby White Pines, about 3 feet tall now. I just have to dig
them up and xport them to my place. DO White Pines have any negatives about
them ? The usual, I guess : tree sap and needles ? I have about a 60 foot back
yard and want to plan them at the far edge of the yard, so sap will just fall
back there, and needles too.

Any pos / negs about White Pines ?

Thanks
Old 28-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Starlord

There is a pine tree right behind the trailer I rent and I sweep off the pine
needles from the roof and collect them from around the trailer and take them out
to my desert field garden and add them to the soil, my iris and my canna love
them that way. Also they make a good blanket of mulch for the canna during the
winter too, so I don't have to left them, and in spring time, I cover them with
steer manue and presto, foor for the canna and earth worms too.

So hay, I'll take as many as you can send me ;}

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop

[...]