GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Asian Longhorn Beetle Larvae Identification (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/45741-asian-longhorn-beetle-larvae-identification.html)

Haas 19-10-2003 08:02 PM

Asian Longhorn Beetle Larvae Identification

I live in the Chicago area, and as many of you know, over the last few years
we have had problems in certain areas with the Asian Longhorn Beetle.
Anyway, I was splitting some wood the other day and found it to be infested
with some sort of boring larvae. The wood is Willow.

I have tried to identify the larvae via a web search, but can find no
particular site on the larvae identification. I am attaching a link to a
picture.

If someone knows of a good site, or has experience identifying the larvae, I
would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

Ken

http://www.geocities.com/hitmensoftball/picture.jpg

Lar 19-10-2003 09:12 PM

Asian Longhorn Beetle Larvae Identification

In article ,
says...
:) I live in the Chicago area, and as many of you know, over the last few years
:) we have had problems in certain areas with the Asian Longhorn Beetle.
:) Anyway, I was splitting some wood the other day and found it to be infested
:) with some sort of boring larvae. The wood is Willow.
:)
:) I have tried to identify the larvae via a web search, but can find no
:) particular site on the larvae identification. I am attaching a link to a
:) picture.
:)
:) If someone knows of a good site, or has experience identifying the larvae, I
:) would appreciate some feedback.
:)
:) Thanks,
:)
:) Ken
:)
:)
http://www.geocities.com/hitmensoftball/picture.jpg
:)
:)
I would think the easiest way would be to contact the
local extension service or your state's main ag
university to send them samples. Or to satisfy your
curiosity you could isolate an infested log loosely
wrapped in plastic and kept warm to let the larvae
develop into a more easily identifiable adult.

--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/brodf1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Sed5555 19-10-2003 09:42 PM

Asian Longhorn Beetle Larvae Identification

I am attaching a link to a
picture.

A picture of what? I don't seen any larvae.
sed5555

Beecrofter 20-10-2003 01:02 AM

"Haas" wrote in message ...
I live in the Chicago area, and as many of you know, over the last few years
we have had problems in certain areas with the Asian Longhorn Beetle.
Anyway, I was splitting some wood the other day and found it to be infested
with some sort of boring larvae. The wood is Willow.

I have tried to identify the larvae via a web search, but can find no
particular site on the larvae identification. I am attaching a link to a
picture.

If someone knows of a good site, or has experience identifying the larvae, I
would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

Ken

http://www.geocities.com/hitmensoftball/picture.jpg

I think the guy from the USDA who was in charge of the project in NY
was named Giddleman or Gittlemen if that helps.

BT 20-10-2003 01:22 AM

Asian Longhorn Beetle Larvae Identification

All I see in your picture is a slab of wood, no larvae.

Try this website for lots of images of larvae, etc.:
http://ag.udel.edu/biir/anoplophora/whatisALB.htm

BT

Haas 20-10-2003 03:22 AM

Asian Longhorn Beetle Larvae Identification

Sorry,

Let's try this again.

http://www.geocities.com/hitmensoftball/Newimage.jpg

Ken

Sed5555 20-10-2003 03:32 AM

Asian Longhorn Beetle Larvae Identification

This is not the Asian Longhorn beetle larva. This is most likely Cryptorhynchus
lapathi (Curculionidae), a willow/poplar borer (prefers willow). Much better
picture.
sed5555