Old 19-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Haas

Default Asian Longhorn Beetle Larvae Identification

I live in the Chicago area, and as many of you know, over the last few years
we have had problems in certain areas with the Asian Longhorn Beetle.
Anyway, I was splitting some wood the other day and found it to be infested
with some sort of boring larvae. The wood is Willow.

I have tried to identify the larvae via a web search, but can find no
particular site on the larvae identification. I am attaching a link to a
picture.

If someone knows of a good site, or has experience identifying the larvae, I
would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

Ken

http://www.geocities.com/hitmensoftball/picture.jpg

Old 19-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Lar

In article ,
says...
I live in the Chicago area, and as many of you know, over the last few years
we have had problems in certain areas with the Asian Longhorn Beetle.
Anyway, I was splitting some wood the other day and found it to be infested
with some sort of boring larvae. The wood is Willow.

I have tried to identify the larvae via a web search, but can find no
particular site on the larvae identification. I am attaching a link to a
picture.

If someone knows of a good site, or has experience identifying the larvae, I
would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

Ken

http://www.geocities.com/hitmensoftball/picture.jpg

I would think the easiest way would be to contact the
local extension service or your state's main ag
university to send them samples. Or to satisfy your
curiosity you could isolate an infested log loosely
wrapped in plastic and kept warm to let the larvae
develop into a more easily identifiable adult.

--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/brodf1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old 19-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Sed5555

I am attaching a link to a
picture.

A picture of what? I don't seen any larvae.
sed5555
Old 20-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Beecrofter

"Haas" wrote in message ...
I live in the Chicago area, and as many of you know, over the last few years
we have had problems in certain areas with the Asian Longhorn Beetle.
Anyway, I was splitting some wood the other day and found it to be infested
with some sort of boring larvae. The wood is Willow.

I have tried to identify the larvae via a web search, but can find no
particular site on the larvae identification. I am attaching a link to a
picture.

If someone knows of a good site, or has experience identifying the larvae, I
would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

Ken

http://www.geocities.com/hitmensoftball/picture.jpg

I think the guy from the USDA who was in charge of the project in NY
was named Giddleman or Gittlemen if that helps.
Old 20-10-2003, 01:22 AM
BT

All I see in your picture is a slab of wood, no larvae.

Try this website for lots of images of larvae, etc.:
http://ag.udel.edu/biir/anoplophora/whatisALB.htm

BT

Old 20-10-2003, 03:22 AM
Haas

Sorry,

Let's try this again.

http://www.geocities.com/hitmensoftball/Newimage.jpg

Ken

Old 20-10-2003, 03:32 AM
Sed5555

This is not the Asian Longhorn beetle larva. This is most likely Cryptorhynchus
lapathi (Curculionidae), a willow/poplar borer (prefers willow). Much better
picture.
sed5555