Old 22-10-2003, 06:22 AM
Valkyrie

Default sweet autumn clematis

My first year of the Sweet Autumn Clematis experiment had spectacular
results. I planted it in a pot 18" deep and 14" across. The pot was back in
a corner of my balcony that never gets direct sun but as it started growing
I trained it across the wall and over to a trellis (cheap white wire fencing
I got for $2 and stapled upside down across the top front of my balcony) and
it really took off. I was worried that all I was going to get were leaves
when I noticed it was loaded with buds. It bloomed profusely and the scent
was wonderful. The hardest part was keeping it watered. I was gone for 3
days and the pot was bone dry. It seemed to bounce back from that with no
adverse effects.

Can I prune this back now? It's so dark now that we are into the winter
cloudy weather I'd really like as much light as possible coming into my
living room and this thing has blocked most of the daylight. Like I'm
peaking out from inside a cave. I've read either to prune it after it sets
seed heads or to wait till March or April. It blooms on new wood so if I
hacked it down to 2-3 feet now would it be OK?

Puget Sound region, Western Washington
Val

Old 22-10-2003, 02:32 PM
David J Bockman

Hi Val,

Best pruned (whacked back) after the fall blooming or in very early spring.
You can pretty much prune it as hard as you like, it's a very tough vine.

Dave

Old 22-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Valkyrie" wrote in message

Can I prune this back now? It's so dark now that we are into the winter
cloudy weather I'd really like as much light as possible coming into my
living room and this thing has blocked most of the daylight. Like I'm
peaking out from inside a cave. I've read either to prune it after it sets
seed heads or to wait till March or April. It blooms on new wood so if I
hacked it down to 2-3 feet now would it be OK?

Puget Sound region, Western Washington
Val

Val, because ou winters are usually so mild, you do run the risk of it
putting out new growth if you prune now. How vulnerable that would be to
what winter weather we do have and if there would be any serious damage, I
can't say for sure. I have had to prune back clematis at this time of year
and all have survived without harm and none were as robust as a SAC, but
they were all planted in the ground, which is a factor as well. I'd say go
for it.

pam - gardengal

[IMG] code is On

Nov 11 - Autumn Leaves Autumn Sky_8129.jpg John - Pa. Garden Photos 0 11-11-2007 10:10 PM
Sweet Autumn Clematis Jan Gardening 0 18-08-2006 03:17 PM
SWEET AUTUMN CLEMATIS flowers Michael Gardening 4 12-10-2005 05:45 AM
Spring and autumn clematis [email protected] Gardening 6 17-06-2005 05:23 AM
My sweet sweet Rose Brigitte J. Gardening 14 25-06-2004 12:03 AM