Old 22-10-2003, 11:22 AM
Geoff Bryant

Default New plant images

Just a quick message to note that my site now includes nearly 1300 plant
images, including many that could be described as rare and unusual. All
pictures have informative captions.

Geoff Bryant
www.hortiphoto.com

Old 22-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Quickly found a few errors on your website. Could find many more if I had
the time.

Correct name is Sansevieria trifasciata 'Silver Queen' not 'Silver Sheen'.

Sansevieria parva in flower in the front of picture with Sansevieria
trifasciata 'Bantel's Sensation' in back. Sansevieria parva is native to
Kenya and is a free flowering species. Flowering the species is not a rare
occurance at all.

Your plant as Sans.trifasciata 'Futura' is actually Sans.trifasciata
'Robusta'. There is no such species named Sans.gigantea.

Your Opuntia longispina var.flavidispina is actually Euphorbia similiramea.

Your Opuntia subulata is actually a North American "Cholla", probably
Cylindropuntia whipplei.

Kalanchoe blossfeldiana is not a hybrid. The florist Kalanchoes are complex
hybrids involving several species not just K.blossfeldiana and should not be
attributed to that species.

Its Aeonium arboreum 'Zwartkop', a cultivar of Dutch origin, the German
spelling 'Schwartzkopf' is incorrect and not valid.

Thats Crassula coccinea not Crassula perfoliata var. falcata and it blooms
in the winter not summer.

Old 22-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Geoff Bryant

Ah, a succulent and cacti expert.

I appreciate the information, as my area of expertise is really
rhododendrons. However, none of the captions on my site is put there without
some research and most of the photographs were taken at reputable botanic
gardens, whose labelling and classification I usually trust. Consequently, I
have to ask, can you site any references, especially for the Opuntia
subulata.

Geoff Bryant

. com...

Old 22-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Sure, I can cite several references.

Sorry to say but most otherwise reputable botanical gardens fall very short
when it comes to succulent plants and their correct identification. Someone
mistaking a Euphorbia for an Opuntia is almost inexcusably inept for an
otherwise expert horticulturist.

For the Sansevieria trifasciata cultivars:

Chahinian, B.J. (1986) THE SANSEVIERIA TRIFASCIATA VARIETIES. Trans Terra
Publishing. Reseda, California.

For the current classification of the Opuntioid Cactaceae:

Hunt, D. & Taylor, N. (eds.) (2002) STUDIES IN THE OPUNTIOIDEAE (CACTACEAE).
Succulent Plant Research - Volume 6

Opuntia subulata is now correctly named Austrocylindropuntia subulata but
the plant often misidentified as it is actually Austrocylindropuntia
exaltata, an apparent natural hybrid between A.subulata and A.cylindrica.
Austrocylindropuntia are easily distinguished from Cylindropuntia by the
spines lacking a papery sheath and all the branches being of inderteminate
growth (branching primarily from the base) not with an indeterminate main
axis and determinate branches.

Here is a picture of Austrocylindropuntia exaltata.

http://www.cactus-succulents.com/opuntia_subulata.JPG

Here is a picture of genuine Austrocylindropuntia subulata for comparison.
Note the very long leaves.

http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pcolpaer/f...iasubulata.jpg

For more info refer to the files in
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Opuntia_and_kin/

Unfortunately, the complex Kalanchoe hybrids still do not have a species
epithet that can be attributed to them. They should be referred to by their
cultivar names instead but those are often very difficult to track down and
verify.

For a complete listing of Aeonium arboreum cultivars, refer to the files in
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Crassulaceae/