GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Newbie watering q (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/46144-newbie-watering-q.html)

Frohike 26-10-2003 08:22 AM

Newbie watering q

My fuchsia's (in a hanging container) care says "keep moist but do not
overwater". So should I water it like a half-gallon per day? I can't
understand how you could overwater with the drain holes in the bottom.
Thanks.

Tom Randy 26-10-2003 12:02 PM

Newbie watering q

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 03:21:05 -0500, Frohike wrote:

My fuchsia's (in a hanging container) care says "keep moist but do not
overwater". So should I water it like a half-gallon per day?

You should water it only if it needs it, not daily perse. Stick your
finger in in the soil an inch or so. Damp? Don't water. Fingertip dry?
Water.

I can't
understand how you could overwater with the drain holes in the bottom.
Thanks.

It's easier than you think. Some people water daily or more often and kill
the plants due to root rot.

Don't water on a schedual, water only if needed.

jrstark 26-10-2003 04:42 PM

Newbie watering q

Frohike wrote:

My fuchsia's (in a hanging container) care says "keep moist but do not
overwater". So should I water it like a half-gallon per day? I can't
understand how you could overwater with the drain holes in the bottom.
Thanks.

Even with adequate drainage you can overwater, if you are running water
through the dirt it is washing out nutrients.

Janine

Frohike 27-10-2003 04:02 AM

Newbie watering q

"jrstark" wrote in message
Frohike wrote:

My fuchsia's (in a hanging container) care says "keep moist but do not
overwater". So should I water it like a half-gallon per day? I can't
understand how you could overwater with the drain holes in the bottom.
Thanks.

Even with adequate drainage you can overwater, if you are running water
through the dirt it is washing out nutrients.

Janine

Aha! That's it---the nutrients! Thanks, Janine and Tom. :)