Old 26-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Frohike

Default Newbie watering q

My fuchsia's (in a hanging container) care says "keep moist but do not
overwater". So should I water it like a half-gallon per day? I can't
understand how you could overwater with the drain holes in the bottom.
Thanks.

Old 26-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Tom Randy

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 03:21:05 -0500, Frohike wrote:

My fuchsia's (in a hanging container) care says "keep moist but do not
overwater". So should I water it like a half-gallon per day?

You should water it only if it needs it, not daily perse. Stick your
finger in in the soil an inch or so. Damp? Don't water. Fingertip dry?
Water.

I can't
understand how you could overwater with the drain holes in the bottom.
Thanks.

It's easier than you think. Some people water daily or more often and kill
the plants due to root rot.

Don't water on a schedual, water only if needed.
Old 26-10-2003, 04:42 PM
jrstark

Frohike wrote:

My fuchsia's (in a hanging container) care says "keep moist but do not
overwater". So should I water it like a half-gallon per day? I can't
understand how you could overwater with the drain holes in the bottom.
Thanks.

Even with adequate drainage you can overwater, if you are running water
through the dirt it is washing out nutrients.

Janine

Old 27-10-2003, 04:02 AM
Frohike

"jrstark" wrote in message
newsNSmb.25944$275.36872@attbi_s53...
Frohike wrote:

My fuchsia's (in a hanging container) care says "keep moist but do not
overwater". So should I water it like a half-gallon per day? I can't
understand how you could overwater with the drain holes in the bottom.
Thanks.

Even with adequate drainage you can overwater, if you are running water
through the dirt it is washing out nutrients.

Janine

Aha! That's it---the nutrients! Thanks, Janine and Tom.

[IMG] code is On

Watering Advice for a Gardening Newbie, (Drip Irrigation) umpazall Gardening 1 11-05-2007 12:21 PM
watering solution needed Valkyrie Gardening 11 20-05-2003 03:20 PM
Can anyone recommend a good hose/watering online supplier. [email protected] United Kingdom 1 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
Watering equitants IiSpankyii Orchids 3 09-02-2003 08:55 PM
[IBC] watering in the cold Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 2 23-01-2003 03:21 PM