GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Greenhouse bubble wrap insulation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/46768-greenhouse-bubble-wrap-insulation.html)

Arizona Russ 06-11-2003 05:22 PM

Greenhouse bubble wrap insulation

Where can I purchase bubble wrap that has been treated with UV
protection. I have been using standard packaging bubble wrap for
greenhouse insulation, but find that it begins to fall appart in less
than one year. Lots of sun and UV in Arizona.

Thanks all for your help.

Arizona Russ

David Hill 06-11-2003 05:32 PM

Greenhouse bubble wrap insulation

The idea is to remove the bubble wrap once the weather warms up, not to
leave it there all year.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

animaux 06-11-2003 08:02 PM

Greenhouse bubble wrap insulation

On 6 Nov 2003 09:17:25 -0800, (Arizona Russ) opined:

Where can I purchase bubble wrap that has been treated with UV
protection. I have been using standard packaging bubble wrap for
greenhouse insulation, but find that it begins to fall appart in less
than one year. Lots of sun and UV in Arizona.

Thanks all for your help.

Arizona Russ

The only thing you can use which may last longer is pool cover which helps keep
heat in the water. You can also use a second layer of greenhouse UV protected
film by building another frame outside the current greenhouse. That way you
will have double insulation. To my knowledge, there is no such thing as
greenhouse UV protected bubble wrap, only the pool cover stuff.

Salty Thumb 06-11-2003 10:22 PM

Greenhouse bubble wrap insulation

(Arizona Russ) wrote in
om:

Where can I purchase bubble wrap that has been treated with UV
protection. I have been using standard packaging bubble wrap for
greenhouse insulation, but find that it begins to fall appart in less
than one year. Lots of sun and UV in Arizona.

Thanks all for your help.

Arizona Russ

Look for shipping companies that have outposts on Mars. Any packages
shipped to Mars need extra UV protection, as the radiation there will
penetrate normal shipping containers and typically UV-treated bubble wrap
is used as an additional line of defense.

hermine stover 06-11-2003 10:32 PM

Greenhouse bubble wrap insulation

Use a top covering of UV treated plain plastic on top of the bubble
wrap. I have used rather fragile films on the inside, as part of a
sandwitch to trap air for insulation, but the outside was UV proof,
and it kept the other material for much longer than if it had been
exposed.

hermine

David Hill 06-11-2003 10:42 PM

Greenhouse bubble wrap insulation

Don't know where in US you will fins it but here is a link for UK,
They might be able to tell you of US stockist.

http://www.tenax.co.uk/c/index.php?cat=cp

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Salty Thumb 06-11-2003 11:02 PM

Greenhouse bubble wrap insulation

"David Hill" wrote in news:boeibf
:

Don't know where in US you will fins it but here is a link for UK,
They might be able to tell you of US stockist.

http://www.tenax.co.uk/c/index.php?cat=cp

Wow, learn something new everyday.

J Kolenovsky 01-12-2003 04:32 AM

Greenhouse bubble wrap insulation

Would really thin "polycarbonate" work?

Arizona Russ wrote:
=

Where can I purchase bubble wrap that has been treated with UV
protection. I have been using standard packaging bubble wrap for
greenhouse insulation, but find that it begins to fall appart in less
than one year. Lots of sun and UV in Arizona.
=

Thanks all for your help.
=

Arizona Russ

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

[email protected] 01-12-2003 03:02 PM

Greenhouse bubble wrap insulation

not sure if it is UV resistant cause it is supposed to go inside of greenhouse
http://greengarden.mall-network.com/...te-Control/138
the google search is
greenhouse supplies bubble plastic
but you may want to add UV on that.

Arizona Russ wrote:

Where can I purchase bubble wrap that has been treated with UV
protection. I have been using standard packaging bubble wrap for
greenhouse insulation, but find that it begins to fall appart in less
than one year. Lots of sun and UV in Arizona.

Thanks all for your help.

Arizona Russ

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

[email protected] 01-12-2003 03:03 PM

Greenhouse bubble wrap insulation

polycarbonate the double walled stuff with channels is excellent choice. higher R
than glass, unbreakable, easy to cut and install, diffuses the sun really well,
cheaper than glass. I just have a hard time finding a local supplier that is
reasonable. neither menards nor home depot stocks it. very very strange indeed since
it is superior to fiberglass. Ingrid

J Kolenovsky wrote:

Would really thin "polycarbonate" work?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

J Kolenovsky 03-12-2003 04:32 PM

Greenhouse bubble wrap insulation

Yes, it is superior but hard to find. I ended up calling BWI for some
prices. Even though they are a national company, the material still is
on the pricey side. The client I was quoting decided to forego the
project.

wrote:
=

polycarbonate the double walled stuff with channels is excellent choice=

=2E higher R

=

http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

[email protected] 04-12-2003 06:02 PM

Greenhouse bubble wrap insulation

I did finally find somebody local. we got a tax number so got it wholesale for $50
per 4x8' sheet. Ingrid

J Kolenovsky wrote:

Would really thin "polycarbonate" work?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List